nes zapper gun

Due to the technology of Zappers and TV's, I think that you'd have to use a modern-day light gun (IE Wiimote) and a microcontroller to detect the position and send signals to the NES.

ProgMetalMan said:
Due to the technology of Zappers and TV's, I think that you'd have to use a modern-day light gun (IE Wiimote) and a microcontroller to detect the position and send signals to the NES.
Do you even know how the wiimote works?

Yes. There's the infrared transmitter on top of the TV, and the Wiimote has an infrared camera that detects where it's facing relative to the TV. I was thinking that someone could use that technology to have an Arduino or something come up with the X and Y values of where the Wiimote is pointing, and then have it trigger the hit on the NES.

I think there are some lightguns made now that will work with an LCD. I'm sure it would be easier to adapt that for use on the NES than to take an entirely different piece of technology and use that.

Plus, the x/y value idea with an arduino sounds like it would work, but that's not how data goes into the NES. How would you get info about where the targets are on-screen to the arduino? Remember, all the information that the lightgun sends to the NES is "I see white", or "I don't see white" (with some shades of gray for multiple targets). Not x/y data.

You can't mod one to work with an LCD. It relies on the way a CRT TV scans line by line.

Back