Need a boss diy PC for $1200.

Huh. They've really improved their quality, then, because in the past they've been flax. I guess things do change- ECS has gone the other way :(

I still like my MSI though. Most of my boards lately have been MSI, no idea why.

samjc3 said:
I think this meets every OP requirement save for sub $1200 price, but only by ~$45.
I'm 99% sure that this is the build I'm going to do. Except I'll swap out the processor for the 4.0GHz variant I found on Newegg. Just 'cuz. My mom knows jack flax about computers, so when she has me buy the parts, I'm just gonna say the shipping is what pushed it to like $1400 lol. This build is going to be *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing sweet. Thanks a ton to everybody who posted suggestions. You are all awesome.

For monitors, I'm gonna get a pair of 24" Dell refurbs for $100 a piece. For keyboard and mouse, Logitech wireless. I'll figure out sound later lol. Probably just gonna use my old set of computer speakers.

tl;dr

Thanks to graduation presentry, I get an epic ~$1600 machine for like $240 out of pocket.

Get a 7970. Can't beat the price to performance at the moment. 16gb seems to be the sweet spot RAMwise for you. I can't speak for the AMD FX series, but I have heard wonderful things about the 8350. I wouldn't spend more to get a haswell CPU. Honestly, a 2500k still works very well, and an 8350 is both cheaper and faster than that or the Ivy equivalent, so I would look at AMD this gen. For your PSU, look at brands like Corsair, Thermaltake, Seasonic, etc. You don't want a cheap PSU, and I'd look for 600w or more. As for the case, that's entirely personal. I would look at items with over an $80 MSRP for the sake of quality. Hope that helps. Probably not

Bush said:
Get a 7970.
Can't say I actually checked benchmarks (or prices, for that matter) at all, but I haven't had any complaint whatsoever with the price/performance of my 770 - it's an absolute beast. It also doesn't seem to be bottlenecked by my 2500k. In any case, the build he has gone and purchased should hold up for a few years, even on triple monitors, so I imagine he'll be happy.

AMD cards are decent, but nVidia has way better drivers. With that being said, AMD has really put a lot of effort into improving them during the last few years.

I remember when I bought my current rig, I was looking at either a vanilla 560 or a 6870. I ended up shelling out a bit more for a 560 Ti. The thing that pushed me over to nVidia was CUDA support- Premiere Pro and a few other things I use need CUDA, not OpenCL.

Nvidia drivers have been god awful lately. The 600 series was a big mess, and many people are still having issues with random driver crashes. I got rid of my 660ti Heck, the 320 drivers are even killing cards. The 770 is a merely a higher clocked 680. the 7970 has both more vram and a wider bus. It's going to be much better for high resolutions and multiple monitors. I don't know why you would go for a 770 when 7970s can be had for cheap.

I haven't had any problems with 320.18 on this 770. Only been a week though. And the 7970 might have more ram and bandwidth, but the 770 can push more pixels, and has way more headroom for clocking. In most benches at 5760x1080, the 770 and the 7970 GHZ are within 2 fps of eachother - up or down is anyone's guess.

Yes, so why spend more on a 770? 7970s are coming down and going on sale. I got a ghz ed for 330. 770s will be ~$400 for quite awhile.

And again, in no way are Nvidias drivers superior. With my 660ti, I had driver crashes with ANY new game, especially in FC3 and Bioshock. Many others have had the same issues and I can't recommend Nvidia at all for that reason. The company failed to address the driver crashes for over 6 months and I only got somewhat stable performance with the most recent driver set. With the AMD 6xxx cards and my new 7970 I have had zero driver issues and that gives me a lot more faith in AMD.

I paid $379 out the door for my 770. A quick look at Newegg doesn't show any 7970 GHZ editions for less - one works out to exactly the same after rebate, but most are above $400. You could probably get a non ghz edition for less, but why would you want to - it's not exactly as competitive?

This post has been made on the PC I built as a result of this thread. Thank you to everyone who contributed... I couldn't be happier.

Basement_Modder said:
This post has been made on the PC I built as a result of this thread. Thank you to everyone who contributed... I couldn't be happier.
Awesome. What OS are you running?

Basement_Modder said:
samjc3 said:
Basement_Modder said:
Awesome. What OS are you running?
A torrented copy of windows 7 64 bit.
You filthy *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing monster. How dare you steal. Says me who is also running a cracked copy (though I do have legit keys, cracked is just faster than disabling all the bullflax)

samjc3 said:
Basement_Modder said:
A torrented copy of windows 7 64 bit.
You filthy *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing monster. How dare you steal. Says me who is also running a cracked copy (though I do have legit keys, cracked is just faster than disabling all the bullflax)
Because I've had issues with legit Windows 7 on a netbook of mine so I already had an install disc of a cracked copy mounted on a flash drive right on my keychain.

For future reference, it's usually a good idea to just download the latest ISO from MS directly and use the latest version of Daz's loader yourself vs. a pre-cracked copy.

Usually not a huge deal though unless it's a really old ISO, so you'll probably be fine.

My ISO was around the 2011 era of windows 7... I disabled MS Update for fear of any patches going through. It has worked flawlessly with everything I throw at it and runs quite fast, so I'm just fine with it.

Daz's loader works with Windows Update and I believe it can uninstall other cracks before it installs itself, in case you really feel the need to update at some point.

Back