My First Attempt At a Portable Wii

Well Gman and Dyxlesci you guys have both inspired me to work on my own portable Wii. After seeing your thread Dyxlesci it made me see how great the Wii would be for a portable, it can pretty much run any console and it can play all of my favorite games! This wont be my first portable as I have been working on them for quite some time now I just decided to create a work log for this because there isn't many Wii portables that aren't laptops. I also don't expect to finish this project fast but I will be working on it a lot over February vacation and in my free time but here's just a picture of the Wii out of its case to show I'm actually getting started
hVRdMRe.jpg

Looking forward to it! Ill be following the project and will offer assistance if you need it.

gman said:
Awesome! Got any ideas for the case yet?
Thanks gman and for the case I was thinking of a poly case preferably one of the JB series since I might try to make it look similar to the dmg game boy with a vertical button and screen layout but that all depends on how much I can trim off the Wii :D

Dyxlesci said:
Looking forward to it! Ill be following the project and will offer assistance if you need it.

I most likely will be needing assistance as the Wii seems to be more difficult than the any other console. I have been following your thread for a while Dyxlesci, you're doing a great job and if I ever finish building this I will give a lot of the credit to you. I wouldn't be able to figure this out on my own and I have noticed bentomo was able to hook up a custom regulator to the Wii, have you personally tried this yourself because I believe he said he couldn't get the 5v regulator to work and I didn't know if anyone has figured out a way around that.

I have not attempted custom regulators. The only thing i have done is remove the 1.8v regulator. I was able to power the 1.8v line using my benchtop linear regulator without problems. I did this to current draw of the ldo to figure out how much power was burned by it.

Unless you really want to try some ambitious trims, I don't think you it would be worth it. You would likely destroy at least one board in the process. We are still working out the details on custom regulators.

GarageFactory said:
Thanks gman and for the case I was thinking of a poly case preferably one of the JB series since I might try to make it look similar to the dmg game boy with a vertical button and screen layout but that all depends on how much I can trim off the Wii :D
The Wii can fit into the JB-65 but as far as we have currently discovered the wii will not fit into the JB-55 which would require trimming past the sd card slot.

Well I ended up getting a different case than I expected I forget what it is called but I got it as a free sample so that was pretty cool. I was able to trim the top part of the Wii significantly as you can tell but I still have a long way to go before I can get it to fit in my case. Also mid trim my Dremel blade broke so that made it pretty difficult but it works!

cqjx9oe.jpg

Back