Making the Psone screen look better....Antiglare mod

hailrazer

Frequent Poster
Some of you may know this already but I thought I'd pass this on to any who might like to know.

If you're like me sometimes while working on the Psone screen you might scratch it up or smudge it a bit. Also you might notice that it's a bit murky looking. Like this :

Ps1.1.JPG

Well on the top of the Lcd is a Antiglare layer. It is a protective layer that is on top of the Lcd that also serves the purpose of reducing glare. But it has the side effect of muting colors and reducing brightness. The solution. TAKE IT OFF !!

The easiest way to do this is called the "Water Soak" method.

Here's what you do. Starting with the Ps1 screen stripped down to this:

Ps1.2.JPG

1. Remove the metal bracket holding the Lcd to the backlight. Ben has a tutorial on this already so I'll spare you the details. (Note : This can be done without removing the metal bracket, it just will take more effort later)
Ps1.3.JPG

2. Remove the Lcd from the backlight (by just lifting it off) and set it on a towel or similar surface. The pic shows leaving it on the backlight but I have changed this. If you take the Lcd off the backlight then you don't have to wait as long to allow the backlight to dry after performing the mod.

3. Take a couple of paper towels and layer them in 3-4 layers. Cut the paper towels where they cover the LCD precisely and lay them on the Lcd.

4. Wet the paper towels by dripping water on them slowly. You want enough water on them for the paper towels to be soaked, but not so much that the water is dripping over the edges into the backlight. The paper towels can hang over the top edge but DO NOT let them hang over the bottom edge. You don't want the ffc's getting wet for a long time. Also try to get most of the bubbles smoothed out of the paper towels. You want the wet paper towels to make a good contact with the Lcd.

Ps1.4.JPG

5. Leave paper towels soaking for 4 hours. I repeat 4 hours. Do not soak for less than 4 hours. You want the antiglare to come up in one piece without any sticking or glue residue so it is imperative you wait for 4 hours.

6. Remove paper towels.

7. On top of the Lcd you will notice a thin layer that is covering it. This is the polarizer/Antiglare layer. The polarizer is on top of the Lcd and it is the thicker layer with a tinted look. the antiglare layer is on top of it. It is paper thin and is clear/slightly cloudy. We are going to use the razor and pick at the edge of this dual layer. The antiglare layer will be very thin and will look like a piece of clear but slightly cloudy saran wrap. It will peel off very easily. If the piece you are pulling up is tinted and stiff STOP, you are pulling up the polarizer layer and this will render the screen useless. Once you get the edge of the antiglare up , pull it off slowly in one motion. After the antiglare is removed you can wipe off the excess water with a lint free cloth like an eyeglass cleaning cloth.

Ps1.5.JPG

This is what the removed Antiglare looks like :

Ps1.6.JPG

8. After removing the antiglare there is nothing else to do but make sure the Lcd is totally dry and water free , remember water+electronics=BAD. Re-assemble and reconnect the panel after it is dry and enjoy a scratch-free screen with better brightness and colors.

Ps1.7.JPG

And here's a pic of before and after. It's hard to tell the differences when not holding it in your hands. But there is less of a dull look , colors are more vibrant, and better focus.

Ps1.11.jpg

Also like I said if you accidentally scratch or scuff your screen , this mod will fix that :)

I honestly don't see too big of a difference. Also, if the Antiglare modded screen gets scratched...good luck fixing that.

J.D said:
I honestly don't see too big of a difference.

It is very hard to get a pic of the difference , but it is really noticeable in person. Just walk into a store that sells Pc Lcd's. Look at the ones with antiglare and then look at the ones without and you will see how much better it looks without.

J.D said:
Also, if the Antiglare modded screen gets scratched...good luck fixing that.

The point of this mod is that if you already have a scratched up screen , this will make you have a better brand new looking screen. If you then mess it up again , you basically have what you started out with, a scratched screen. So no loss either way and for a while you had a nice screen :)

Ampersand said:
I'd be careful while doing this.. It's easy to remove the polarizing film :gonk:

Yes it is, hence the necessity of reading the instructions carefully and making sure you pull off the right layer. :)

Looks as if you've forgotten to remove your anti]glare guide. Well, I have screen capped it so I will never lose it. :p

I will never put it back up here Jidan. It's not my intellectual property to be do so. So Hail, if you do read this, please just know I only meant that I wanna preserve this awesome mod in case I ever wanna do it. No bad intentions. :)

zeturi said:
I will never put it back up here Jidan. It's not my intellectual property to be do so. So Hail, if you do read this, please just know I only meant that I wanna preserve this awesome mod in case I ever wanna do it. No bad intentions. :)

I know that, the way you said it just kind of was like, "looks like you forgot to be a jerk....." or something that I'm not sure how to phrase. :neutral2:

I didn't intend it to sound that way at all. Sorry that it came across as rude, I totally see how I mis-worded that. Just would hate to lose such a nice tutorial. :)

Back