LiPo Explosions

techknott

Last night I put a 7.2v pack on charge, everything seemed to be going ok, when all of a sudden, the cells started started swelling up rapidly. I quickly disconnected it and threw it through the window onto the back garden. Luckily, I was there when it happened and I avoided a catastrophe.

Basically, I just want to warn people working with LiPos that they're extremely dangerous if not handled exactly right. Don't cheap out on a charger and never charge unattended. I for one will never use these cells again now, especially next to a motherboard that can reach some decent temperatures. Looking at some of the explosion videos has really made me think. What if it happens in someones hand after you've sold a portable etc?

I did a bit of digging, so please take time to have a peruse at the stuff in this link. LiPo explosions are extremely common!
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209187

This worries me a lot also... Makes me wonder if i should not change the design of my portable as the batteries are closer to the heatsink than I would like now that I know more about these type of battery... :/

Edit: well flax.... this is really making me reconsider things. whats the next best option for battery's?

Ashen said:
This worries me a lot also... Makes me wonder if i should not change the design of my portable as the batteries are closer to the heatsink than I would like now that I know more about these type of battery... :/

Edit: well flax.... this is really making me reconsider things. whats the next best option for battery's?

Li-Ions. Same exact capacity and life expectancy. Just a sturdier package , not so easy to blow up.

If it blows up in someone's hand, insist they damaged the device and refuse to accept returns.

I've only got lithium-ions that I got really cheap. I still gotta get a charger for them. After reading this, I'm not sure if charging them from a power supply is a good idea anymore.

Back