Linux Mint

I'm running Mint now, been happy with it. Ultimate Edition is better, though, will be switching to that shortly.

really depends on what you want. im assuming you are going for is basically web browsing, right? along with some other standard apps. (gimp, etc)

if thats so, then linux mint will be great. its fast, easy to use, and has a good library.

on the other hand, if you know unix, and know your way around in a command line, openBSD is the way to go.

samjc3 said:
on the other hand, if you know unix, and know your way around in a command line, openBSD is the way to go.

Well, if he's considering Mint, wouldn't it be safe to say that he does not know any of these things?

Atari said:
samjc3 said:

Well, if he's considering Mint, wouldn't it be safe to say that he does not know any of these things?
yeah, i suppose thats correct.

Linux Mint is a pretty good lightweight OS, and it's good looking too.

I still wouldn't choose it over Xubuntu or openSUSE.

Mint is basically Ubuntu with new branding anyway. Switch to Debian proper, or better yet Slackware, PC-BSD, or Win7.

bic said:
Mint is basically Ubuntu with new branding anyway. Switch to Debian proper, or better yet Slackware, PC-BSD, or Win7.

God, no.

CrunchBang, Linux Mint, openSUSE, or Open/FreeBSD is the way to go.

CrunchBang is really really lightweight and minimalist.
Linux Mint looks great.
openSUSE is another standard Linux Distro.
Open/FreeBSD are both pretty cool, but not for n00bs.

Also, I'd recommend staying within the Ubuntu derivatives, due to the fact that Ubuntu's repositories and repository system is awesome.

Yeah I've been using linux for quite some time now. I know a significant amount of commands but I'd prefer to have it mainly GUI with Terminal. I've tried some other main distros like RedHat and openSUSE. I've been looking at other distros and Linux Mint looked cool to me. I think I might give Debian or Slackware a shot. Maybe Gentoo or Arch.

Back