Learning to code - what is best to learn first?

zeturi

DEMON PIE!
I'd like to learn how to code. I've read online that C++ is good to start out with, but I'd like some other opinions before I start out.

In case I should be more specific, I'd like to be pointed into a direction that could help me make things like making disk drives or cartridge connectors from consoles read data from hard drives or SD cards. I'd like to not be too much more specific than that. :)

What you are going for there is CPLD/FPGA territory, which means Verilog or something else. From what I've heard, it's not so much programming as logic design. Don't know jack flax about this, though.

For computer programming, C++ is pretty common. Microsoft now offers free "Express" versions of Visual C#, C++ and two others I can't remember. There's also Java, which is portable, and I think similar in some ways to C and way different as well. BASIC is pretty much outdated for computers, but it is pretty easy, not requiring all the syntax. I'm no expert on this. I tried programming for a bit and gave up.

Microcontrollers are useful for a variety of practical applications. Here you'll have to choose between AVR and PIC. PIC is more common but AVR is better IIRC- cheaper to get started with and less confusing model numbers. For both most people code in C or assembly, BASIC compilers are available however. I recommend an Arduino. It's really slick with a USB interface and "shield" system, easy to program language, and good community. Based around an ATmega328 so you can use it as an AVR development board or ghetto-rig your own "Arduino".

Programming is a pain in the ass and difficult to learn no matter what you're doing. I don't know a lot about it, but I'm sure someone will fill you in.

Kewl, thanks XCVG. I will look into Verilog and CPLD/FPGA as you mentioned.

I know we have other programmers on this site! Any more info would be gladly appreciated!

I started off with java. It's pretty basic, just can get confusing at times.
C++ is probably the closest to java, it may even be easier to learn.

XCVG said:
Microsoft now offers free "Express" versions of Visual C#, C++ and two others I can't remember.

The other two are Visual Basic, which is great for rapid development, and Visual Web Developer, which makes websites utilizing Active Server Pages and SQL. They've been offering the Express editions since 2005.

http://www.microsoft.com/express/

Dont jump straight into C++. You'll just get confused. I suggest you start out with a scripting language to get a basic idea of programming. I suggest http://www.autohotkey.com Its a great little scripting language that can do almost anything. GUI's are a snap, web browers are easily possible. Oh and the help forum and documentation is GREAT! Once you get a grasp on autohotkey, then start C++. AHK will prepare you with syntax's and you'll have some knowledge of programming before you start C++.

Thats what I did.

Good Luck!

Python is a glorious scripting language. Pretty easy to pick up, and very capable.

For serious languages, Borlan Delphi, which is pascal, is my favorite, though its not as widely supported as c based languages. And Java is good, but do not make games in it. Please god, do not. at least for platforms with the virtual machine. Hardware that support java on a hardware level is a different story.

I started off programming in Java, jumping to python in my senior year of high school. As a freshman in college we used A program called visual logic, which was programming using a visual flow chart. Then I started using C++, and I love it here. I would suggest starting with something basic to gain an understanding of programming logic before using C++.

Back