Infrared Reset Button

I haven't seen any of these done but I wanted to attempt it myself as an alternative to a wired reset button which is rather frequently done.

I made a simple 555 timer based infrared circuit, which simply allows current through when any amount of infrared light is detected. For example, if I connect the positive lead to the positive source on a battery pack and the negative lead as well as one pin of an LED to the negative source and connect the output pin of the 555 timer to the other LED lead, it will light up upon shining infrared light from a TV remote or anything of the sort onto it.

(This circuit is the one found here ( http://www.instructables.com/id/Turn-any-IR-remote-control-to-a-wireless-control-O/ ) minus a change in the IR receiver and a slight makeshift resistor solution (using an 10k + an 8.2k resistors together in place of an 18k one listed for the circuit)

This is the schematic from the instructable:
F0VPU2SGLWR1F8I.MEDIUM.jpg

(Keep in mind I am extremely noobish when it comes to anything electronic so bear with me. Also, sorry for the crappy pics, nothing good to take pictures with with me currently)
pgEAUxk.jpg

I then proceeded to solder two wires leading to the reset button like so:
mLyngok.jpg

I then connected the circuit to the reset button in the same way as I did an LED. However, upon doing so, the NES treats it as if the reset button is being held down still (power light off, no image on screen) so I would assume this is not the proper way to connect such a thing. Anybody have any ideas?

Back