I just got Ben's book...

pLover

Apparently plover is a type of bird.
...What project should I do first? I want to make the handmade SNES, but I also want to make the easiest one first. Which project should I make?

Also, the awesome smiley looks pretty poorly made.. I have a better one, one of you admins want to change it from :awesome: to
908470.jpg

pLover said:
...What project should I do first? I want to make the handmade SNES, but I also want to make the easiest one first. Which project should I make?

Also, the awesome smiley looks pretty bad. I have a better one, one of you admins could change it from :awesome: to
908470.jpg

Glad your on here. Well ythe easiast and a good beginer project is a nesp the move on to the snes. it is actually harder than it looks.Lots of things could go wrong.I had a few problems and i only soldered 6 wires.So good to see you joined here. :awesome2:
EDIT: Oh thats SS's favorite smiley it defines him. Don't insult it

Ben's book is a good reference, but I wouldn't build any of the projects. Design your own, be creative. You want to build a SNESp? That's fine, but some of Ben's techniques are a bit odd, like the controller board. The book is a pretty good reference though. Anyway, a lot of people like the Polycase ZN40 for a SNESp.

XCVG said:
Ben's book is a good reference, but I wouldn't build any of the projects. Design your own, be creative. You want to build a SNESp? That's fine, but some of Ben's techniques are a bit odd, like the controller board. The book is a pretty good reference though. Anyway, a lot of people like the Polycase ZN40 for a SNESp.
Well do I need to follow the book for my first portable? I'm pretty inexperienced, so I think I'll need to follow the book.

But if the book is just for a reference, would I be able to make my own pretty easily? Or is it pretty hard until you've done one right?

pLover said:
XCVG said:
Well do I need to follow the book for my first portable? I'm pretty inexperienced, so I think I'll need to follow the book.

But if the book is just for a reference, would I be able to make my own pretty easily? Or is it pretty hard until you've done one right?

Also, how old is the Youngest Portablizer? I think I can beat him. I'm 13 1/2, as of 3 days ago.

Some may consider me the youngest portablizer, as I have almost completed my EplisionNES. I haz no pictures though.

pLover said:
XCVG said:

It's not that hard fundamentally. Basically you just have to connect things together correctly, which the book will tell you how to do. There's a few ways to make a case. There's Ben's handmade technique, which I don't like because it produces hard edges. There's CNC machining, which costs a lot. There's frankencasing, that's where you take an exisiting case or container or whatever and modify it, which requires patience and some skill. Then there's vacuforming, which is really cool and creates awesome cases but can be difficult and can be expensive. Making a simple portable isn't that hard, making a really awesome portable is. To make things smaller people trim and relocate things, and later systems are easier to fry. A SNESp makes a pretty good first portable, as long as you don't try to be too ambitious.

Alright, thank, everyone.

Also, I think my friend might be coming here sometimes soon. He said he wants to get in to making portables, so keep an eye out for him.

Make whatever you want. Why do you need our opinion on hat system to use? The instructions make all the systems in the book very easy to make portable.

pLover said:
pLover said:
XCVG said:

Also, how old is the Youngest Portablizer? I think I can beat him. I'm 13 1/2, as of 3 days ago.
Demonofaj of the benheck forums finished his first one when he was 10.

Back