How to wire up a 3DS analog stick

mymixed

If you want to use a 3DS analog stick on your portable, due to size or comfort, this is the diagram for you.

I strongly suggest you also take a look at SonyQrio's guide (viewtopic.php?f=36&t=8250). I just thought that the N64 thread deserved its own 3DS analog stick thread. :D

With the help of SonyQrio, I have successfully wired up the 3DS analog stick to the N64! This mod also works for GC.

To get to the contacts as shown below, pry up the plastic above the ribbon cable until it cracks. You can use a screw driver to pry it up if you need to. Once you have done this, simply bend it back and forth until you can pull it right off. Next, pull back the ribbon cable until it comes off. You can now successfully solder to the pins!

6098874230_21b10b974a_z.jpg

Now, here's the schematic for the stick itself:

Thank you Sony for theorizing the putting of a 1K resistor between the X and the Y axis. It eliminates the conflict that caused the inverted axis problem.

Once you have wired it up, It should look like this:

Hopefully it looks less beta than mine :D. I'll have a video soon. In the mean time, wire up those 3DS analogs!

- mymixed

Spreading my post from the GC section:

SonyQrio said:
Sorta update...

So we were playing around with this at the Hacker Dojo this weekend and found out a few things that all you probably don't want to hear. The GC analog stick is BIG TIME design flawed from a impedance standpoint. Long story short, there is no way you are going to be able to hook this directly up to a GC or an N64. The diagram that was posted earlier works on the N64, but the crawling is not eliminated on the Y+ axis due to the design flaw.

HOWEVER, DO NOT FRET! We have combated this problem with an Arduino. i.e. You feed the X+ and Y+ from the analog stick into the microcontroller and you get flawless X+ and Y+ out of the microcontroller. Does this mean that if you want to use a 3DS analog stick in your portable, you will have to stick an Arduino in it? NO! We are currently designing a board that will take care of all your 3DS analog stick problems... and how small will it be? About the size of the joystick its self.

t4109805-117-thumb-attiny10.jpg

Furthermore, there will be an FFC socket that you can plug the analog stick directly into, and all you will have to scotch tape the wires (better than solder imo) to is the nicely sized test pads for +5v, GND, X+ out, and Y+ out. There will be models for the N64, i.e support for the analog stick, and models for the GC, i.e. support fot BOTH the analog stick and C stick.

So, if you bothered to read all of this, how much would you pay for one of these? Would you even buy it at all?

Thanks for the feedback,
SonyQrio

How hard would this be to do in reverse? As in wire the GC analog stick to replace a 2ds analog stick?

Wire the single +5V terminal to the Gamecube's dual 5V inputs and single GND to the dual GND. X to X and Y to Y, and pray the impedance works with the 3DS hardware.

Back