How do you remove the expansion slot on the NES

Uhhhhhhhhh... Desoldering pump! No matter how hard you try you will never remove an expansion slot with a normal iron.

indeed, the penguin of the snow speaks the truth. A desoldering iron will make your life so much easier.

18masterkyle said:
I have a desoldering pump i.e solder sucker. The thing has a button and you press it and it sucks the solder up
yeah, so you suck up the solder on each contact as you go. Eventually, you'll have all the solder sucked up so it won't be holding the thing to the board.

If you are lazy you could probably cut it off with a dremel, though that technique risks damaging the board.

I fixed it. Desoldered all the points then pryed ("hard") with pliers the expansion slot shredding the pieces. Job well done!

TC, don't get the desoldering pump. I have it, and it sucks. It like launches up, and since you have to heat the solder with a normal iron first, you have to be insanely fast, A desoldering iron will work much better. Easier, faster, and more effective is always better.

pLover said:
TC, don't get the desoldering pump. I have it, and it sucks. It like launches up, and since you have to heat the solder with a normal iron first, you have to be insanely fast, A desoldering iron will work much better. Easier, faster, and more effective is always better.

I've used a desoldering pump for years and never had any problems. Maybe you just suck? (pun intended) I know some people like desoldering irons, some like pumps, and some swear by desoldering braid. I've found braid useful for small connections and SMT but useless for anything else.

Desoldering braid>pump>iron. theriouthly. Desoldering braid can be put anywhere. If it won't absorb the solder, smear flux all over it, then it will. :)

Back