How do you guys cut screen holes?

lyberty5

how do you guys do it? i have a dremel and more, i'm quite comfortable with it, but i certainly don't want to mess up my screen hole, i mean its impossible to fix it if its done wrong...

Are there a few tips, advices, techniques i should know about?

Theres several ways. I usually use my cutlass. However, a dremel with a cutting wheel, or even a razor blade are both viable alternatives.
And if you do *Can'tSayThisOnTV* up, its not impossible to fix. Bondo, ABS cement, glazing putty, epoxy, and even hotglue (see: SS, circa 2006) are all usable for fixing cracks and such.

I used my Dremel. Didn't get a very accurate hole and had to file a bunch. Didn't bother and it looked like crap. Not the Dremel's fault, I just suck. Leave the line, but don't leave too much or you'll spend a lot of time with a file.

XCVG said:
I used my Dremel. Didn't get a very accurate hole and had to file a bunch. Didn't bother and it looked like crap. Not the Dremel's fault, I just suck. Leave the line, but don't leave too much or you'll spend a lot of time with a file.
Ever hear of a sanding drum? takes the edges down quick. Then you only file to get it straight.

I tried the sanding drum, but I don't remember how well it worked. I think it ended up making the edges bumpier.

Finesse, my friend. That's how I do it. Dremel sanding drum, do the corners with a fine cone bit.

okay finesser. How do you drill perfect vents or sound holes???? AND I MEAN TINY *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ING HOLES.

I'd like to know.

project board + the drill aythe size you want, there is a tip that allows many smaller sizes on the dremel, only know what its called in french

that should help you, it will route you in some way

I used a drill tip and had to do more work to the case because I couldn't find a saw like tip. Took alot of sanding.

I've never cut a screen hole, but if I were to do it I would just cut it about .5" smaller then it should be and just sand out till you get the size you want.

You can also bondo in the screen frame (or at least part of it) and that will give you a nice rectangular hole.

Back