Homemade BB Gun

W00gala

I decided make a bb gun just for funzies, Anyways I am not going to reveal much on this project because it's mostly a surprise. If anyone has any expertise in making flamethrowers or other stuff like that I would love to know how to make one for a possible future project.

I assume, when you say BB gun, you intend on using .177cal pellets? If this is so, allow me to attempt to steer you towards .22 cal pellets instead. They're still quite cheap, and all that, but they are capable of so much more. Not to mention a piece of 9.52 x 2.03 SHT pipe will make a perfect (albeit smoothbore) barrel.

As for Flamethrowers, SS and I are the resident experts, but we can get into that later.

That looks excellent, actually, but it seems like the front of the grip is a bit short, because the receiver block is so thick. What tools did you use to make that?

Thanks, yes it is a little bit thick but I like it so I guess I will keep it that way. :rolleyes: Still needs a LOT more sanding because at this point it's really rough. What kind of sights/scopes would you suggest for this? Or should there be none.

Well, a sighting solution entirely depends on how much power you wind up with, and how accurate it is. If its weak, coarse sights, a rear notch and front blade, would be fine, since it wont be accurate anyway. And if you manage to get it pretty powerful (above 400fps, really), then I would say a bit finer blade sights would probably do. Beyond that, you'll want a rifled barrel and 800fps+ if you want something deserving of a scope. And even if you do manage to get it so powerful, open sights are a lot of fun, and, if you know what you are doing, can be effective far beyond what any BB will be able to shoot. (Heck, NRA High power matches call for 10 shots at 600 yards with open sights as one of the events. And those guys shoot good groups at that distance.)

Thanks for all that info I almost feel bad for making you write all that. :cry4: :dahroll: Anyway, I am shooting for at least 400fps(no pun intended). Also I am working on a better and much cooler gun at the moment so I am probably not gonna spend to much time or money on this project. So what would be the best way to do this cheaply? I was thinking about making it powered by air which would be cheap and easy.

Something along the lines of this but waaaaaay more cooler.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EqmUAvdKKfY

Basically I recommend building your own pressure vessel out of common pipe (standard black pvc will take about 180psi before deformation, in my experience, which is plenty.) Add a replacement tire valve stem and a sprinkler valve trigger, and you've got a pretty powerful and versatile setup. Heck, with $40 and a trip to the hardware store, I built one that sent a .710 steel ball clean through the wall of one of my outbuildings.

A 9oz co2 tank for a paintball gun might work for a pressure vessel too. you can probably get a empty one for $0-$5.
For the most part I'd agree with whatever samjc3 says, unless she say's "stand right there".

Paintball canisters could be useful, I suppose. On a cannon like I build (big bore for great justice) , I wouldn't want to use one, since they can't dump the pressure all at once. But on a smaller caliber one, it could work just fine, but the gas system would be a bit of a pain to fabricate. Probably the best way would be to salvage the valve assembly from a paintball gun. Barring that, I would use a constant pressure regulator into a small reservoir, with a dump valve as a trigger. There's other ways, though.

Back