Help with mah lamp mod!

epicelite

Frequent Poster
Well why I wanted a 1 3/8" hole saw was for modding my lamp! It was always falling over and I thought I could give it more weight if I added a couple sockets into the base! :D

LampSocket.jpg

LampSocket1.jpg

So anyway almost done, but the holes didn't come out as clean as I would have liked. Do you think if I painted over everything the holes would look better?

Anyway how do I remove the white plastic part off this socket without damaging it? It is held together by nails that are smashed at the bottom to keep it from coming apart.
Socket.jpg

Is this awesome? [Y/N]

Okay, first off, nice idea for a mod. Something practical and useful.

epicelite said:
So anyway almost done, but the holes didn't come out as clean as I would have liked. Do you think if I painted over everything the holes would look better?
Bondo is your friend here. If you can't afford bondo, then hot glue sort of works. And yes, you should paint over it to match. Ideally you should have used white sockets, but for a random mod usually you use what you have on hand so I understand.
epicelite said:
Anyway how do I remove the white plastic part off this socket without damaging it? It is held together by nails that are smashed at the bottom to keep it from coming apart.
Socket.jpg
I don't see why you would want to. Modification to this can be dangerous, but more importantly you may never get it back on. If you REALLY have to, carefully drill out the rivets (they are probably rivets) from the bottom, squashed out end.

But the sockets ARE white. I want to paint them without getting paint on the contacts inside is the whole reason I thought of takeing the white part off.

epicelite said:
But the sockets ARE white. I want to paint them without getting paint on the contacts inside is the whole reason I thought of takeing the white part off.

Huh, the sockets look beige or ivory in the pictures. Anyway, you probably won't be able to get the white part back on. Your best bet is to stuff something down the holes.

I guess... I filled in the little bits around the hole with hot glue then I will just paint over it so it should look ok! ::3:

Back