Help with GBC backlight mod and LED mod

Tsukimaru

well guys, i feel into making a mod to a gbc because i want to play some retro games, and I dont like emulation gaming :/ so, i want to learn how to mod a gbc, and play some of my childhood games :p
since this will be my very first mod, i need as many advices as possible, and diagrams (if there are any).

I know this is a piece of cake even for begginers, but i want to make sure i dont damage my gameboy color for nothing :/

Backlight? I don't think that's possible, to my knowledge you can only frontlight it. Video, and then there's a guide in the description!

LED mod? I assume you mean the power indicator light? Yeah, swapping that out shouldn't be much trouble, you just have to desolder it and solder an LED of equal size of smaller. I dunno if you'd have to add or remove resistance though, 9 times out of 10 flax just works. Not my area of expertise, but I've gotten away with stupider.

SS

ShockSlayer said:
Backlight? I don't think that's possible, to my knowledge you can only frontlight it. Video, and then there's a guide in the description!

LED mod? I assume you mean the power indicator light? Yeah, swapping that out shouldn't be much trouble, you just have to desolder it and solder an LED of equal size of smaller. I dunno if you'd have to add or remove resistance though, 9 times out of 10 flax just works. Not my area of expertise, but I've gotten away with stupider.

SS

well, the frontlight tip surely was helpful, but with LED mod, i meant to put some LED inside the gameboy to make it look cooler :p i saw there was a post about LED modding a GBA somewhere, but I dunno if it is the same procces for the GBC.

However, Thx for responding :)

Well to make it look cooler, in my opinion, I'd order a clear shell if you don't have one already. What I did is took apart my old SP and cut the ribbon cable. Then I took the plastic piece covering the screen. There is a metal mirror-like piece that has an led the forces the light upwards. If you put just wire the metal piece cables (to the battery connectors) and place it over the GB Color screen (with a little bit of dremel work) it'll fit. That's what I did. :)

Back