Help me find a motherboard

Bush

sweet justice
I need a mobo for a desktop I'm building. Im using an AMD Phenom x4 965 with an AM3 socket. I don't really know what to look for, but I know ASUS is a good brand. Integrated GPU would be nice, and I would like at least 4 ddr3 ram slots and 2 PCIe 2 slots. Beyond that I'm not sure what I need; feel free to enlighten me :D . If possible, could you refer me to one on Tigerdirect.com? That's where I'm getting my parts, so I'd like to bundle the shipping and keep it down. Thanks guys!

Have you bought the CPU yet? Did you see if it's included in a bundle deal with a good motherboard? What's your budget?

Don't solely rely on Tiger Direct. Sometimes NewEgg beats them on price and shipping. (They tend to have better combo deals as well.)

For example:
Gigabyte 870A-UD3 - $110 at Tiger Direct
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... CatId=5538

Same motherboard is $100 on NewEgg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 20870A-UD3

They have your CPU $10 cheaper as well, with free shipping.

Do you plan to do CrossfireX in the future? Are you actually going to use the integrated video?

I may do SLI in the future and the integrated would be nice if i cant buy a gpu right away.

If you want to do SLI you need an nVidia chipset motherboard (750a or 980a). I've heard they are crap, and I know they are more expensive and harder to get than AMD based boards. If you don't already have a videocard, I would recommend going for AMD/CrossfireX. Northern Islands is about on par with Fermi, and you can use a cheaper 890GX or 890FX board.

Recommendations for both... this afternoon.

Oh and also, If I'm going with ATi compatibility, what is a comparable card to the Nvidia gtx 460?

ATi's 6850, 6870, and HD 5850.
The 6850 is virtually identical in performance, the other two are a tad better.

Then you're locked into using an nVidia-based motherboard if you want to have SLI in the future*. There aren't many choices- four or five motherboards across two chipsets on NewEgg (maybe more elsewhere, but not a lot more). The main difference between 750a and 980a is that 750a does not support two x16 PCI-e connections- if you go SLI you get eight lanes each. I'm not sure if they support hexacore processors or not. I seriously doubt any of them will do core unlocking either. On the other hand, it is the only non-hack way to get SLI with an AMD processor. And I thought we were past this chipset-matching bullflax.

*There are hacks out there that may or may not enable SLI on AMD-based boards. Use at your own risk.

Back