Help! Good screen for portable

Mr.Mike

Hey modretro! I finally got a paypal account so now i can start getting parts for my gamecube portable so I can finally set this project in motion! I already got 2 classic controllers (Using buttons) and a couple items for dealextreme. But, I was wondering if someone could link me to a good 5 inch screen that is good in quality but not somewhere around $50 in price. I am asking because I see so many screens and I don't know if there are some that will make it so that i cannot hook my GC up to it.
All help appreciated!
-Michael :)

Thanks Spiicyice but i looked into it and the zenith monitor and the motherboard of the screen i feel is a little to big. Any other suggestions?

Thanks very much! And with this lower resolution screen, how does it compare to lets say if i was on my tv not using composite? Will this one still look good? I am not interested in doing composite (Even though it looks great...all comes down to cost) so i mainly care about having a decent screen that is playable on and won't give me issues. So is this screen still good even with the lower res?
Thank you so much for dealing with me this far thou!

Well if you're connecting your gamecube to your tv using a component cable and not a composite cable, then there will be a big difference. I think you may be a little confused, composite is what almost everyone uses for connecting a gamecube to a screen; It is the yellow RCA jack. Where as a component cable is the green, red and blue jacks. These give a much better picture compared to composite, because of the resolution and colours etc. The highest a gamecube can output is 480p and that is what the component cable will give you. Whereas a composite cable can only get you 480i. It is quite a bit of difference needless to say... Then there's S-Video! It's basically just a little better than composite, but still runs at 480i.

Both screens I linked are only composite compatible, it still looks good. BTW when playing older games on newer TV's, it almost always looks worse.... Someone correct me if I'm wrong about anything above, this is just what I know from prior knowledge...

Glad to help,
Spiicy

EDIT: I did a quick google search, and I found this website that might explain things a little better: http://www.rfgeneration.com/blogs/lisal ... s-1701.php

Thanks that information and that link cleared up a lot! Composite is what is traditionally used and component is the better up-scaled cable. So, with that, i think i will go with this screen http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-HD-800-480-Di ... 19d886410b
The only thing is, is that the aspect ratio is 16:9...will this b ok for the image or will it just stretch out the image so much so it wont fit on the screen or become blurry? (Also is it ok it doesn't have aspect ratio 4::3:?)

Back