Going to make my own tablet!

Jidan

JEEEEEEEEDAN
So I'm going to try and make my own tablet. Hooray! I have no idea what kinds of things I should get for it. The things I want:

-Windows (prefer Vista) or something that looks and works the same.
-Be able to run at most SNES/GBA emulators full speed for most games.
-A way to have a decent-sized HDD would be very nice, as I want to be able to store music and games on there. Maybe something around 20gb?
-Some way to get Wifi; I don't know anything about that.
-A way to get a decent battery life! I'd love at least 5 hours.

-I'd love to make it have a screen at about 7" maybe? Something a bit smaller than the iPad. And then maybe 1.5" - 2" thick? :confused:

I'm not asking for people to go research all this for me; I'll be doing that. I just need some suggestions or what the best things would be or some decent alternatives. :)

inb4Zero

You might want to consider getting a Beagle board and Linux.

Zero mentioned Beagle Board, but I have no idea what it is and what it can do x.x and I'd really love a Vista/Windows-like interface.

You'd be better off with Windows 7. Your tablet would run a lot better.

Beagleboard only runs windows ce, or something. Get Angstrom linux, which is what pandoars use.

Dang you J.D, stealin' my lines.

Anyway yea, if you go for the BeagleBoard, your best bets are either Angstrom Linux or Android. You'd also get PLENTY of battery life compared to an x86 tablet, and to be honest, you don't need Windows for what you're looking to do. If anything it'll just make things more expensive and troublesome for you, sense you won't be able to use an ARM cpu or the benefits that come with it. If it's really that much of an issue, I'm sure you can find a Windows 7 skin or something to make it at least look like Windows 7.

Also, if you do decide to go with a BeagleBoard, it might be worth it to wait for the BeagleBoard XM.

Wow. its funny. i just decided to do this like 2 days ago. on mine, im using my beat up EEE 701 as a base. ima use the VGA out and probably one of the 8" touch screens off AEIcomp, or something comparable, and a lot of batteries. I'll probably run ubuntu netbook remix, because, even though it sucks, its got a touch friendly interface.

I looked at other options, and it definently seems like modding a laptop will be WAY cheaper than getting everything, especially for windows, since microITX is really expensive.

i find it really odd that they have decided to run Maemo/Mer on it. Dont get me wrong, I like them both, but they arent exactly popular or well documented.

Hack a netbook, maybe? You could use a mini-ITX board, but it'll be bigger.

Anyway, BeagleBoard and ARM isn't better. It runs cooler and will have longer battery life, but isn't as powerful, and you won't have the variety of software availible for x86. And you clearly stated that's what you want.

Back