GBASP - Reading button values?

Hi there, I'm working on a project where I have an mbed inside an SP case. I want to wire the pins on the mbed to the button headers on the SP PCB so that I can detect when a button is pressed. However, I'm a bit lost on how to do this. When I connect two wires to Gnd and one of the TPx headers the circuit is immediately completed, regardless of whether the button is pressed or not. I'm using the following image as a reference:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-1x2a ... n_pads.jpg

Is something wrong with where I'm trying to connect the wires to? My theory is that the headers are used for input to the system, not outputting the actual values of the button. I'm lost now - Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

So you mean you're connecting one side of the wire to the pad, then touching the two other ends together? That's exactly what pressing the button does...
I'm not familiar with the mbed, but I think you would just hook up the TPx points to the input pins on the mbed and have the grounds connected. Then when the button is pressed, it'll be shorted to ground and the mbed should detect it.

Back