Donkey Kong 64 Widescreen Issue?

Shield

Hey all,

I have been testing an NTSC NUS-001 N64 that I purchased to make a portable with some other parts, I'm in the US, and I have not been able to get Donkey Kong 64 to display in Widescreen, I have looked around not really been able to figure out why, I plugged it into 50" LED tv with Composite and when I go and change the setting and start the game it stays in 4::3: :( , I could force it to stretch but that's not the issue. I plan on using a 7" tft 800x480 composite/vga car lcd that can switch from 16:9/4::3: for my portable so I need make sure the widescreen works before I go forward.

I also purchased one of these converters http://www.ebay.com/itm/190596379150?ss ... 1497.l2649
and hooked up a 15" vga lcd computer monitor, same thing does not change when I enter the game in widescreen.

Any advice, I don't think the game or system is broken, both are in nice condition but then I have not used one of these systems in long time, so I don't know. :confused:

Did you set both the TV and the game to widescreen? Just because you set DK64 to wide doesn't mean it's going to automatically switch your TV's aspect ratio. You should be fine on your screen if you set it to 16:9 as well as the DK64 options.

Hey Bush,

I did a little testing, I didn't notice but there is a difference in picture when switching normal to wide screen, I just took some pictures, my lcd converter box (http://www.ebay.com/itm/190596379150?ss) has multiple resolutions but this is the lowest one in 4::3: 800x600 60Hz.

It's a 4::3: LCD monitor, I used the Zoom button to put black bars on top and bottom and squish the image.

Normal MODE in 4::3:

Normal setting
r4yiVqz.jpg

Normal notice arrows
EtvcAT3.jpg

Wide Screen Mode in 4::3:
f0MQcwH.jpg

Wide screen in 4::3: notice arrows
hyYKEXA.jpg

Normal and Wide screen combined to show difference.
oIYlWFu.jpg

Using Zoom Button on Converter.

Normal mode tests with 16:9 zoom
KjXlER9.jpg

Wide screen tests with 16:9 zoom
3IpfWQX.jpg

Combined to show the difference
SMQ1ilr.jpg

Thank you very much Bush. :D

Back