Does this idea sound realisic for a beginner?

ojmanyeah

So hi! I guess I'll say that because this is my first post, but I'm not for good introductions so I'll get to what I want to post about. So I've never done any electrical work, I have mostly just stuck with software but after seeing some of these sweet mods and portables I want to get in on this :p So I've been reading stickies and such and I have an idea for a project that is would like to get an opinion on. So I only have a gba to work with and I wanted to backlight it but it doesn't look like that's gonna happen. So I thought about making my gba have stereo speakers built in, would it be easy for a beginner to work on this? And if I just was stupid and didn't see a sticky for this or backlighting the gba? Thanks for reading this somewhat long post and any feedback

It's a good idea, not too difficult, the problem is it might not be worth it. The gba doesn't have stereo sound channel to begin with, so you'd just be hearing the same sound from both speakers.

Would still be nice though with another speaker.

Oh and I'm heading to the hardware store sometime this week, what should I pick up that I will need? Not asking for a materials list but anything that I might need later on in learning how to mod stuff

Soldering Iron
Solder
Flux (Optional) I've never used it ,but I hear it works well of the solder wont stick.
Maybe hot glue if you are paranoid about wires or for anything really its a handy thing to have around.
Multimeter

hope I helped

bentomo said:
Kyosho said:
bentomo said:
The gba doesn't have stereo sound channel to begin with
...yes it does
Does it now, I thought things like the headphone adapter just output the same signal to both ears?

It's stereo, I played an emulator the other day and had headphones on. There was definitely sounds on one side moving back and forth. Either way the second speaker is more for volume not stereo separation.

It has L/R output, but the speaker is fed with both lines to my knowledge, so you don't miss stuff while not using phones.

Unfortunately you can not backlight the first GBA; you can only frontlight it. As far as the end user is concerned, the effect is mostly the same.

Back