Do the RGB mods work with VGA input displays?

2xWhiskey

Hey All,

After stumbling across Tchaz's "The Envision" video on YouTube, I've found myself bitten by a bug to make a portable unit for myself.

https://youtu.be/CiUI08UITwc

So for my first attempt I am aiming to use this N64 dust-collector and the same display Tchaz had used. But before I go pulling the trigger on buying components, I need a little help:

The display only takes composite video or VGA input signals, will the currently documented RGB mods work with that VGA input requirement?

Here's a link to the latest revision of the display: http://www.good-display.com/products_de ... Id=92.html

I see on the VGA input pinout that there's a "HS-IN" and "VS-IN" that wouldn't match up with anything from the mods I've seen, except maybe the "Composite Sync"? And for me, that is another problem, as I hav a Rev 4 N64, which doesn't have a buffered Csynch(according to XCVG's Guide to the N64 from the forum sticky)

If you've read this newb's question, thanks for your time! I'm a little OCD about using the VGA signal over composite. Maybe there's a similar screen to this that accepts a Super VHS signal?

Short answer: No RGB =/= VGA, just use Composite.

Long answer:

The N64 doesn't output VGA. It outputs RGBs, which is a little different. The major difference is the sync rate of RGBs is 15KHz and VGA is 31KHz. The only way to make it work is with a circuit board like the GBS 8200 or the GBS 8220.

You can make RGBs work with Rev 4 and below. It really helps to have an RGB amplifier to get the picture bright enough. And the sync line can be pulled from the V Composite Video line, the Y Luma line, or the S Sync line. There is a circuit you can build to strip the sync signal from the Composite Video line or just use the Luma line if the Sync line doesn't work (if like you say the Sync line is unbuffered on Rev 4). All three lines work for me (at least with the GBS 8200/8220) the only noticeable difference while using the Composite Video as a sync line is there is a sort of dark "X" overlaying the image.

Honestly, on a small screen the quality difference is negligible. And the extra space and power requirements for more components to get VGA to work will only decrease portability.

Back