Connecting case halves

ghig

This probably gets asked a lot (I've actually seen a few topics regarding this during my research) but... how should I connect two vacuum formed case halves?

I've seen teeth be used to lock case halves, I've seen screw posts, and I've seen screws going in sideways (through the outside of one half, and into a lip on the other case half).

Are these the only methods? I'd like my case to be as professional as possible. I'd like to be able to access the internals easily (ie. no chopping stuff up and then re-gluing it) should that be necessary.

It would appear screw posts are the most ideal, is anyone aware of how to add screw posts to a vacuum formed case WITH the screw heads being "embedded" in the case. I'm not sure how to explain it so hopefully this image illustrates it better.

file.php

As you can see, the screw is inset in the case (or would be if it was screwed in fully).

Any hints and tips regarding screw-posts (particularly with alignment) would be appreciated.

Also, if there are any alternative methods of connecting case halves, I'd like to hear them!

Edit: if anyone can give me a rough idea on how much I should be paying (or expect to pay) for 2mm thick HIPS. Does it matter if one side has a glossy finish and the other is matt? I'd assume I just want the matt side to be the outside of the case as that will be easier to fill, sand, primer and paint?
Edit#2: sorry for further off-topic questions but I don't want to create too many topics... a lot of the sheet material comes in A4(+) size. I feel like that's a tad too small when vacuum forming my case and there won't be enough material on the edges. Any experience using A4(+) size?

I'm going to start off saying I'm not a pro (pros correct me if I'm wrong) but I might be able to help (haven't made my case yet). To conect the cases together still use the teeth method to line the halves up. For the screw posts you can buy plastic rods. Cut them to the desired length then glue them inside the case. if you don't have a tap to put threads into the rods a hole slightly smaller than the screw will work. For the resesed holes there are two ways I would try. If you haven formed your case yet you could try drilling holes completely threw the mold that way it sucks plastic inward. vacume forming is not to precise but I think it would give you enuf clearance for a screw head. The other way would be to glue some sheets to the inside where your holes go than drill halfway into the case with a larger bit than finish it off with a smaller one to give room for the screw head.
The plastic sheets are not cheep. When I was looking it was going to cost me about 30 to 40 dollars per case. This was a half year ago so I don't remember the exact price. My problem was the shipping was so expensive...
Not sure what your last question is asking, if its how much plastic you need extra around the case when forming to prevent cracking or thin walls its 2 to 4 inches depending on the case thickness.
This is typed by phone so im sorry for the errors, if you need any pictures or links just ask!

Back