Cheap gaming rig?

Joeyjoe9876

Frequent Poster
Thinking about making a cheap gaming rig, and by cheap I mean somewhere in the $300-$400 range. Not exactly sure what I should be looking for, was wondering if you guys could help me out here. Currently I have nothing but my 2TB hard drive that I could use as my main disk, but that's it.

Joeyjoe9876 said:
Thinking about making a cheap gaming rig, and by cheap I mean somewhere in the $300-$400 range. Not exactly sure what I should be looking for, was wondering if you guys could help me out here. Currently I have nothing but my 2TB hard drive that I could use as my main disk, but that's it.

I'll work on it and post one tonight.

I'm assuming that you can get an operating system for free, whether you already own one or can *ermm* legally obtain one. If not, let me know and I'll revise the list accordingly. The total is $400.93 with shipping and rebates. You could do an intel build but AMD is really your best option for the price.

WARNING HUGE PIC

siY8D.png

Joeyjoe9876 said:
I've always been more partial to amd. What would be a good optical drive to add to this?

If you only need DVD, this one has proven to be fantastic value for money.

If you want blu-ray, then this is probably a reasonable bet.

Joeyjoe9876 said:
I've always been more partial to amd. What would be a good optical drive to add to this?
Oh yeah. I forgot about that haha. Samjc's suggestions are good.
This case looks nice and would be ten bucks less after rebate to help offset the DVD burner. Smaller and has a window. The NZXT m59 also looks decent for the price, but would cost $7.99 more with shipping.
Or you could stick with the Rosewill.

By the way, it's not that hard to find a new 550 Ti for $80 after rebate if you search around a bit.

The Real Hitler said:
superben51 said:
The Real Hitler said:
Mac minis are great. Cheap and small. No regrets
GTFO.png

What is this? Meme land? GO back to 9gag

#redditarmy
We don't need you to tell us you're from reddit. We can tell by the whole thing where you're a *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing moron. :/
So... Uh...
GTFO.png

Bush said:
That CPU is a bit archaic.
Yeah, but I don't think you could do much better for the price. Maybe an AMD FX-4100 or something, but I haven't heard the greatest things about Bulldozer. And you would only get a cheap i3 for that price. My friend's Athlon xII isn't even close to that Phenom performance-wise and it can run pretty much any modern game.

Back