Best way to cut plastic cases?

epicelite

Frequent Poster
I have cut only a few plastic cases. Anyway the 2 things I have tried are.

Dremel with cut off wheel:
It melts the plastic and leaves a nasty ugly edge that has to be sanded down and is never perfectly even.

Hot knife:
Maybe the one I got is just crappy but it did more or less the same as the dremel only takeing 5X longer.

Is there a way to do with without melting the plastic?

I like to use a boxcutter for the bigger cuts, then an exacto knife for the more precise slicing. Finally, sandpaper does wonders for smoothing out cuts.

No heat or melting involved.

i use ultra sharp sissors and a electric drill for holes...

much easyer considering i cant afford any of what u were talking about

Way to go, it's only a little more than 2 months old and the post was completely on topic. There is absolutely nothing wrong with bumping a thread if what you're talking about is on topic and can provide help for somebody out there.

snowpenguin said:
Way to go, it's only a little more than 2 months old and the post was completely on topic. There is absolutely nothing wrong with bumping a thread if what you're talking about is on topic and can provide help for somebody out there.

haha yes ^_^

its a good topic so i thought i might "bump" it back up...

Probably the best thing to use is: Dremel 4000-3/34 120-Volt Variable Speed Rotary Tool
though it cost 70-100 dollars, it is well worth the price, can slice right thorugh metal & cinderblock.

Caredo said:
I like to use a boxcutter for the bigger cuts, then an exacto knife for the more precise slicing. Finally, sandpaper does wonders for smoothing out cuts.

You obviously used A pretty crappy dremmel the ones that are a bit more expensive work well and don't melt plastic, and what kind of plastic were you using?

loip90876 said:
Caredo said:

You obviously used A pretty crappy dremmel the ones that are a bit more expensive work well and don't melt plastic, and what kind of plastic were you using?
I wonder if my "no heat or melting involved" had to do with epicelite's post in some way. Oh, wait.
epicelite said:
Not once did I mention using a dremel, loip.

Caredo said:
loip90876 said:
Caredo said:

I wonder if my "no heat or melting involved" had to do with epicelite's post in some way. Oh, wait.
epicelite said:
Not once did I mention using a dremel, loip.

This topic is useful, so I'm keepin it going. I am probably going to buy a dremel at Home Depot next week. Can I trust the employees to steer me in the right direction?

What is a good model dremel to use for cutting square, round, small, etc shapes in plastic? It is a franken case as well. I would prefer to stay around the $60-70 range. thx!

This happened to me once. the problem was the dremel was spinning to fast. Its probably a stronger dremel for carpentry. Thats why I went to Home Depot and got a nice 50$ one.

Tchay said:
What is a good model dremel to use for cutting square, round, small, etc shapes in plastic? It is a franken case as well. I would prefer to stay around the $60-70 range. thx!

Blurt said:
This happened to me once. the problem was the dremel was spinning to fast. Its probably a stronger dremel for carpentry. Thats why I went to Home Depot and got a nice 50$ one.

Look, I answered your question with someone else's answer! (sans detail)

If your dremel is melting the plastic, you need to use a slower speed setting or a different attachment.

a blunt , yes blunt box cutter (takes a few more passes but the cut is ni9cer and its not as easy to slip and mess up your whole sheet), a metal ruler and a clamp, oh and a sharpie, i love my sharpie.

I religiously use wire cutters and scissors only.

I cut this fight stick's holes using only scissors:

stick_final.JPG

Back