Audio Distortion

sonictimm

I just finished wiring up a GameCube mobo to my speakers, and I can hear the boot sequence, but the audio is distorted so that it sounds like the speakers are maxing out the entire time. I'm using some Arctic Cool speakers that came with their own amp. I am using the pins from Ashen's guide, and I even connected the 12v line directly to the Grocery audio amp. Any ideas or tips?

Try using 5v instead of 12v. If that doesn't work, use shielded wires and make sure the shielding is connected to ground.

The audio signal is going through shielded wire, and I made sure the shielding is grounded on one end.
Also, I made a mistake and it turns out it was actually connected to 5v, not 12v. Sorry for the mistake.

Sadly, school has also begun so I'm going to remove the question tag for now since I probably won't be able to resume work until next summer.

I think you should check the wires to see if any part of the insulation looks torn or ripped which allows
parts of the stranded wire to become loose,
if you don't seen any try checking where you soldered too to see if any part of the wire isn't touching the contact.

My guess is what you are experiencing is overdrive rather than distortion. Overdrive is when the signal going into the amp is stronger than the amp is designed to accept, and so it clips and squares off the waves of anything above the range of the amp.

The pre-amp on the gamecube is probably sending a signal that's too strong for the amp. Maybe put a pot in there so you can tone down the signal a little bit.

A good way to tell the difference between overdrive and distortion is to examine the behavior at different levels. Distortion has a pretty much equal amount of distortion despite the audio levels. Overdrive sounds less distorted the quiter the sound is, and more distorted the louder the sound is

Do you have the pre amo on the board? If you do, make sure it's on 12v, because if the voltage is too low on the pre amp there may be distortion.

Back