Any interest in Game Gear LCD mods?

com64

I'm posting here to see if there is any interest in Game Gears modified for a new LCD screen (basically installing a converter board and a new LCD and LCD controller board) since I'm putting some together for myself. I'll also be posting around other modding and SEGA-related forums.

The projected cost of a completely modified unit is about USD$90-$100 (minimum), although that may change if I'm able to bulk-order some parts.

Minimum hardware required and where I'll get it: (or better yet, save me the trouble and ship them to my doorstep)
  • GGTV board (Australia)
  • LCD Screen and board LQ035NC111 (China)
  • Capacitors (Local electronics shop)
  • Game Gear (Craigslist)

Extra hardware:
  • D-SUB/etc. jacks for TV output/input (the LCD controller boards I plan to use support two inputs with automatic switching)

The GGTV boards I plan to get from that Australian guy (stinkyfist?) will cost USD$60 each shipped to me; I do not know if he will take bulk orders.

If someone could help me track down some LQ035NC111 controller boards that use a better-than-composite signal, that would be great, although they will most likely be larger and more expensive. The cheapest I've been able to find an LCD and controller board without buying in bulk (≥5-10 units) is USD$32, although I may be able to strike a deal with a Chinese company to get a bunch of them for USD$20 if there is enough interest in this project.
I have used these exact screens and driver boards before and I have one on-hand, although it's already dedicated to a project and soldered/glued in. I may have to modify the boards or implement a voltage step-up. I have the equipment to calculate the approximate Watt*Hour difference between a stock Game Gear, and a modified unit, so I'll be doing that once I get enough parts in to assemble a single unit.

Capacitors will cost next to nothing if I just put in an order at the local shop and drive over and pick it up.

I can easily score a bunch of blown-capacitor Game Gears from Craigslist and I have a few of my own, although I cannot guarantee the condition of the shell casing or screen (note: not referring to LCD display).

D-SUB's/S-Video/Composite/etc. and cabling I can source from the local shop, Ebay, or China. I have no idea what a full cable would cost yet, although I could find some full-pin D-SUB cables and strip off one end to replace it with whichever connectors are desired. If I source them from China in batches of 10, it will cost roughly USD$2 for a male cable and female d-sub.

Back