Accuracy of vaccum forming

Seren

Formerly known as thelukestir
I've never vaccum formed anything myself and was wondering about exactly how accurate the product will be to your mould. I want to have quite a few rather small details on the case. Not too small, but small enough to worry me that the plastic wont form in the way I want it to. I basically want to have small indents in the case that are about an eighth of an inch wide and deep (maybe even less deep) and running the width of the case in some areas (~ 5 3/4s " wide).

Basically, if anyone who has had experience with vaccum forming could tell me how much detail i can put into the case without wasting my time would be great.

Don't even bother with fine details. I wouldn't expect anything smaller than 1/4 inch to have a chance at working with most vacuforming machines, and even then it's all about how you design your mold. For those indents, just rig up a stop for a drill with a 1/8th bit, and drill em like you would your mold.

If you're dead set on vacuforming them, try drilling the holes all of the way through the mold (The key part here is the vacuum part, not the hot plastic setting on a mold part) and around 3/16 inch. Take a look at how the surrounding plastic on perf-board tables looks for an idea of what you'd get.

That said, I have no experience, I'm just saying what I'd try if I wanted it to work. You could try it on something simpler... like a 2*4... first if you really wanted.

ttsgeb said:
Blah blah blah

That said, I have no experience, I'm just saying what I'd try if I wanted it to work. You could try it on something simpler... like a 2*4... first if you really wanted.

WOW OK.

You can get details to the size about half the thickness of your material. Don't expect full definition though. Text isn't going to show up well, but a seam between two pieces of wood will show up fine.

... Yeah, probably should have put that at the top of it all...

Just trying to be helpful.

βeta said:
ttsgeb said:
Blah blah blah

WOW OK.

You can get details to the size about half the thickness of your material. Don't expect full definition though. Text isn't going to show up well, but a seam between two pieces of wood will show up fine.

Excellent. I wasnt planning on using text so that's not a problem. But that's great to hear, it's leagues easier to make a good looking wood mold then to blast away at the plastic with a dremmel.

Back