A disk read error occurred

superthorn96

my laptop worked fine.... then i dropped it

then i got this message

"A disk read error occurred Press Ctrl + Alt + Del to restart"

any ideas

You dropped it. You borked your disk drive. You either need to replace the drive, or you have messed up the connector for it.

You can use a 2.5 hard drive - usb convertor and install it on any desktop that supports installing to a usb drive. My desktop is eight years old and can install XP onto a usb drive, so that age newer desktop should work fine.

let this be a lesson to you: dont throw your laptop on the floor. (unless its cool and has an SSD, in which case its alright)

do you have your windows discs? its possible you just corrupted a sector, and it can be repaired with the 'repair' option. its also possible the HDD is truly dead, in which case you can either replace it or sell me that laptop and buy a new one [/shameless phishing]

hey guys im having a problem with

booting my computer from the external hdd and running off it.

I've tried installing windows 7 ( i got an error becuase the installtion wizard knew it was an external Hdd)
I've tried installing windows xp ( i got an error saying it had limited acces to the Hdd)
I've tried going using my other computer. going to the C:/ drive and copyign all the windows files to the Hdd( i could not drag some files because they were being used )
I've tryed doing this( http://www.ehow.com/how_4814278_install ... drive.html )
but i got an error saying the hdd drive was missing some files

so any ideas

I went to fry's and got a new Hd for my laptop

I tried to install windows 7 on it and got an error saying windows could not install windows 7 on this hard drive plz look and the logs for more info

I saw something on the setup that said drive options it gave me the option to format the drive and I formated the drive

it still did not install... so I gave up

when I first put the drive In my pc it said it "could not find anything to boot from on the drive"
after I format it it says "could not find any bootable devices"

so was it bad to format it

and how do I fix it

thx

Uh-oh. You may have damaged the connector that connects the drive to the board.

Try installing again after the format.

Back