4-bit Arduino Synth

Cooshinator

So recently I've been making my own chip music, and I've been trying to find ways to add my own flair to it. Looking around, I found this video. Soon I became inspired to make my own synth. Not only would it give me a unique sound, it would satisfy my love for electronics, programming, & acoustics.

The plan is, I am going to make a sound synth with an arduino & a 4-bit R/2R network. If you don't know what an R/2R network is, basically, I use 4 binary pins with different resistance to achieve up to 16 different levels of output

I've been doing alot of research lately, and I've got a good base of knowledge to start this. Here, here, here, & here are located some useful sites I've found.

The synth itself will have many potentiometers & buttons that will let me customize the sound in various ways. There will be four buttons to choose from 4 different base waves (pulse, sine, sawtooth, & triangle). The Arduino only has 6 analog inputs, so that in itself is quite limiting (Although the volume potentiometer shouldn't have to take one of those up). I will use one for pitch, but I'm having some trouble thinking of the other modifiers. Some of my ideas include random bits of pitch change (for a sort of "noise" effect) & compressing the left side of the wave & expanding the right (for a "sharpness" sort of effect). I would appreciate some ideas on this. Also, I plan on a switch to control muting, and a button to do the reverse (so, if the switch is off, the button will turn the sound on while it is held down, and vice versa).

Questions? Thoughts? Ideas? I would appreciate any amount of feedback.

Also, take note that I am fairly new to electronics in general. If you notice an error in what I say, don't hesitate to point it out!

~Thanks, Coosh ;)

Haha, nice. As for the project itself, I ran out of money and just kinda stopped. Hower, yesterday was my birthday, and I now have $75 to spare! I'll order parts soon and finally be able to get somewhere :o

Back