XCVG's Model Rocketry Stuff

what happened to you putting a camera into the nose cone of one of your rockets, it would be awesome if you could snap a few good photos while the things was in flight :).

Went out and launched the rockets earlier today. We had some fun and learned several lessons, a few the hard way. Overall, I consider it a success. It was really too windy (we didn't bother with the RC airplanes for that reason) but we launched anyway and mostly successfully. I do apologize for the bad video. I was the only decent cameraman (cameraperson in today's gender-neutral world?), and I only filmed two of the rockets myself.

Rocket 1: Camo Rocket (B6-4)
This is the one that my best friend Steve built. It actually flew pretty good. Mostly intact, but it lost two of it's fins. I believe the engine ejected. It bounced, which was hilarious.
Rocket 2: Hippie Shorty (A10-3T)
Too short to fly properly, and making it spin was a mistake. It sorta failed. The ejection failed as well. It is still flyable, but there's no point.
Rocket 3: Star Dart (Estes kit) (B6-4)
Again, it failed to pop the chute and instead popped the engine. That's okay, it seems to have come down fine. The flight itself was great- it went up straight.
Rocket 4: Rakketengleider (A10-3T)
Epic failure. I'm not sure if the rip in the wing and half-removed engine tube resulted in or from the crash. It was funny in a fail kind of way. I'm not going to give up on rocket gliders yet, though.
Rocket 5: ICBM (B6-4)
There is almost literally no footage of this rocket. Which is too bad, since it flew great! Went up straight and popped the ribbon chute. At that point it ejected the recovery wadding, which I thought was pieces of rocket. When I actually checked it out, it was fine except for one loose fin which it had probably landed on. This rocket will fly again, and the design will probably be reused for the camera rocket (see below).
Rocket 6: Skyrocket (A10-3T)
It's not a firework, but it is similar to it, hence the name. Basically an engine hotglued to a balsa stick. Flew a curved trajectory but went up and not down. Of course, we didn't even try to recover it. No doubt some little kid will find it and wonder what it is.
Rocket 7: HiJinks (Estes RTF) (B6-4)
Say it with me- parachutes suck. Perfect launch, goes up straight, then the parachute deploys and it drifts into some trees. In the video you can (barely) hear me drop about seven F-bombs. As it passes into the trees I finger it and yell "*Can'tSayThisOnTV* you, I'm going to use the ICBM for my camera!"
Rocket 8: North Korean Rocket (C6-5)
This was originally intended to fly with two A10-3T boosters, but we could not get ignition with either the "Suicide Bomber" or the specially created "Clustermaster 3000" controller. After several attempts we removed the small booster engines and flew it on one C6-5 alone. It flew up great, but because of the delay and heavy weight the ejection charge didn't fire until it was on the ground. It looked fine when we found it. Alas, it will never fly again. Further inspection revealed that the engine tube was not only loose but also two thirds up the rocket! I suspect the weak balsa mounts in the way of the ejection charge caused its demise. It is a cool rocket, though, and externally pretty much undamaged, so I'll probably put it on display. I might rebuild it for C11/D engines, though they are expensive and hard to find.

Lessons learned:

1. parachute+wind=-1 rocket
2. The "ribbon chute" actually works fairly well.
3. The water bottle cap retention mechanism also works fairly well.
4. Popping the engine out may indeed be a viable recovery method.
5. Do the filming yourself.
6. Clusters are a Sega. Use a bigger engine instead.

So, what now? I plan to build another ICBM, and a rocket from a nice tube I have in my drawer. Aerial photography will be moved to the ICBM platform, not abandoned. I'll give up trying to make the Star Dart recover properly, because the body tube is simply to small for it to not jam. And yes, I will try to build another boost glider.

EDIT: Check out my new blog/site/thing!

Dude, thats so cool. IT was cool that the balsa stick and north Korean actually flew well, and the Parachute on that one that got whisked away to the woods was Pretty funny. Good job!

Going to Make any more for future videos?

Also, who did the camera work? the only one that Followed the rocket's trajectory was the One that got stuck in the tree.a tripod That is stationed far away from the blast may be good to catch the ignition, and a secondary cam could be used to film its flight, and be edited together.

Just my two cents

I only have one camcorder and my tripod is huge and massive. I can track rockets fairly well, but I didn't do most of the video. It's a lot easier to use the LCD, but my dad always uses the viewfinder. Notice how the colours change a bit? That was because it wasn't properly white balanced. I was too lazy to fix the colours properly so I applied some auto-correction. I see where you're going, but I don't have the necessary tools. That and then I need TWO good operators, not just one.

Anyway, expect the next video to be better. I should probably add this to the list of lessons learned.

rmk0lt.png

2058ima.png

keychain-camera.jpg

5dl08o.png

Yoshilime M.R. said:
Hey XCVG, did you hear how i shoot off my rockets engine and it caused a small field fire?

Wait, you shot off just the engine? Was it a dry field or a nice green one?

lol, Yoshilime M.R., thats not the brightest thing do :lol:.
dont mean to be a pest, but hows that "project vidroc" coming along.
will you be done anytime soon?
and can you supply us with some more detailed diagrams of it, as well a good explanation of how it will work?

I've got one of those cameras. It's not too bad for webcaming. I doubt you'd get more than one flight on the memory before you'd need to dump it, but that's not too much of a problem.

I haven't actually got anywhere on Project Vidroc. I know where to get the camera but I don't have it yet. I'm not sure if I want to build another "ICBM" (the Soviet themed rocket) or just fit a new camera nose onto my current one. How does it work? Simple, camera goes in the nose, with a small mirror (dental mirror?) pointing down. The USB jack and buttons may need to be relocated, maybe not.

I have, however, almost completed another rocket. Pics... after dinner.

EDIT: I'm surprised nobody has even mentioned Project Polaris. Any guesses as to what it is?

EDIT: I'm surprised nobody has even mentioned Project Polaris. Any guesses as to what it is?
(being sarcastic) a rocket to the sun!! :lol: just kiding, i have absolutely no idea what so ever :confused:
and what i want to know is how will you trigger the camera remotely from such large distances? or will you just put it on video or something?

Probably will leave it on video, not sure if that little camera has a timer or not. If it does, it would be useful but hard to time. Sorry about the lack of pictures of the other rocket, I've been busy.

As for Project Polaris...

I'm not sure if that camera has a timer or not. If you don't have your manual, let me know. I might still have mine.

The camera I ended up getting is a bit different, or at least the case is. It's the same as this one. Impressions? Well, it doesn't hold much and the pictures are really crap, which is not surprising. It is tiny and could be smaller if I relocated the battery to behind the board. It looks easy to open and take apart. Instead of a normal driver, it forces you to install some crap software. Why do they insist on doing stupid flax like that? I see it all the time. Look, I don't want your garbage software. Just give me a godDang driver! Anyway, there is one problem. For recording video, you have to hold down the button! I guess I'll have to wire a little switch in.

Am going to take it apart in a moment.

Project Polaris? I'll give you a hint: G7-2MU

can you have it transmit a video signal and put it on webcam mode, then just record the signal using a laptop? you could probably get away with a higher video res if you did that, i think.

gamefreak13 said:
can you have it transmit a video signal and put it on webcam mode, then just record the signal using a laptop? you could probably get away with a higher video res if you did that, i think.

No. The same logic demonstrated here could be applied to a game boy screen and an N64.

Anyway, two new rockets, and the ICBM is now fitted with the camera. Film at eleven.

2wbwc4o.jpg

Repainted the Star Dart. The nosecone still needs to be done, any suggestions? The Chinese rocket is the super tough one- foamboard fins, wooden nosecone (tight fit and a string just in case), and I think a saran wrap tube. It's designed for the engine to eject- no recovery systems. It might just lawn dart. In fact, it will probably just lawn dart. But it might tumble down nicely.

kb4sir.jpg

The "video modded" ICBM. The little camera was a Sega to hack. It was hard to solder to and I managed to knock the LCD off (not fixable). There's nowhere to put the battery holder in the nosecone, so it sticks down into the rocket body. I thought about using LR44 watch batteries, but I don't have a holder and I don't know if they have enough power to not die right away. The switch is wired to the shutter button, for taking videos. I just covered some of the markings over with the wrong paint, like the Soviets might have done. It looks like crap. If this works, I'll rebuild it, or at least repaint it.

jso7ig.jpg

I didn't build this rocket. The nosecone is just glued on, I think it takes mini engines. Balsa fins IIRC. Not much else about it.

2d7y135.jpg

Toy rocket. I was too lazy to get out the hot glue gun, so it's held together with CA. I couldn't straighten the fins so I twisted them to make it spin (hopefully). Launch lug is a standard drinking straw, just like almost all of my other rockets. It's a bit crooked, but oh well. For an engine mount I shoved in a dowel with lots of tape wrapped around it, then a piece cut from a milk jug, then the shory motor mount tube (mini engines). It's too tailheavy, but at least it's kind of a silly, funny rocket and should fail in a funny way.

316w1eb.jpg

An empty solder spool. I heard spools fly, so I'm going to try it too. CA and model cement, should have waited for the hot glue gun. It uses a mini engine, but the tube is kind of crooked. No launch lug per se, just two holes drilled through spool.

I guess I'm getting back into the somewhat stupid, weird rockets. Coming soon are a pyramid and a mini engine version of the ICBM. What country should it be? I'm thinking maybe Israel or France; any better ideas?

Unfortunately, my friend was unable to come (got called in to work). Decided to launch some rockets (not all of them) anyway. Busy tomorrow, but you might get video on Monday.

1. Foam Toy Rocket (A10-3T)
This one went up and then back down in a semi-nice arc, ejecting the engine and oddly the engine block on the ground. It's still fine, though. Stuff another engine and block (I think I saved it) and fly it again.
2. Green Rocket (A10-3T)
Went up, engine ejected, and then it lawndarted nicely. Seriously, it worked pretty well. Engine ejected, but kind of mashed the inner tube on the way out. It should be flyable with minor repairs.
3. PRC Rocket (C6-5)
This might have been #4, not exactly sure. I mashed the motor tube trying to get the engine in, but decided to launch anyway, holding it in with tape and the rear retainer ring. It flew fairly well, but before landing or just after the nosecone came out (recovered it, if you were wondering). Might be flyable, but trying to replace the motor tube won't be fun.
4. VidRoc (B6-4)
It flew okay, but the recovery was kind of botched. The strings caught on the fins and it came down kind of hard, though not overly so. I did not get any video, unfortunately. Either the landing jolted the battery, causing the memory to clear, or I accidentally cleared it. It's still in good condition, and I will try again.
5. Pyramid Rocket (A10-3T)
Fail. It never got off the launchpad. The problem was with the launch lug. It was probably on an angle, and too far away from the centre. I stomped on it after it failed. Kind of stupid, but oh well.

Lessons learned:
-A loose fit is better than a tight one when it comes to engines.
-Lawndart recovery works pretty well if the rocket is built for it.
-Pyramids require special launch lug considerations.
-Figure out a way to make better engine tubes. (my dad suggested rolling it with glue on the paper; sort of laminating)

Back