XCVG's Guide to the N64 (FIXED VERSION LINKED AT THE END OF THE SECOND POST)

Im having trouble finding the PTHO8080 step down reglator i went to texas instrument but cant find that part. :cry: could someone give me a link to where to get it or something?

EPIC NECROBUMP!

I've added sections for PIF mod and cart slot mod. I plan to finish this soon- there's not much more left to do. If anyone could clear up my confusion over the PIF mod that would be great.

XCVG said:
EPIC NECROBUMP!

I've added sections for PIF mod and cart slot mod. I plan to finish this soon- there's not much more left to do. If anyone could clear up my confusion over the PIF mod that would be great.
Um, what questions do you have? you just need to switch 5 pins :/

Which 5 pins? Is it reliable? Does that diagram I posted work? Has anyone actually done this?

Been there, done that.

http://forums.modretro.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1709&view=previous

You actually posted on this explaining about it? I've done it. Plenty of other people have done it :/ Only game I have that doesn't work is cruisin' the world 2000. any time I have a game that doesn't work, I put mario kart in first and boot it up, and then the game that wasn't working works when I load it. I read that on some forums one time.

XCVG said:
So, you used that diagram to do it?
yep and I just used 5 different switches. It's supposedly 100% compatible if you switch all of the pins but I've only seen that done once with a custom circuit board. Yeah, Jelly linked me to that almost a year ago. Over a year ago. idr. it works fine.

Regarding the capacitor used on the PTH08080WAZ, if I use a 120µF capacitor or 220µF capacitor, would it still work? I just don't have a 100µF one on me right now and don't want to go out to buy one if I don't have to.

EDIT: I just realized I can wire a bunch of smaller capacitors in a parallel to up the total value.

BtheDestroyer said:
Regarding the capacitor used on the PTH08080WAZ, if I use a 120µF capacitor or 220µF capacitor, would it still work? I just don't have a 100µF one on me right now and don't want to go out to buy one if I don't have to.

EDIT: I just realized I can wire a bunch of smaller capacitors in a parallel to up the total value.

Massive bump, but anything around 100uF is probably fine.

Welcome to 2020, everyone! Some of the images have broken and some of the information is outdated. I'm not really into the whole portabilizing thing anymore, but I cleaned up the guide a little and put together a downloadable PDF version that hopefully won't disappear from the internet. You can grab that one here.

It's linked in the second post. I can't edit the first post because it's above the maximum character limit of posts now. So that's a thing.

Back