XCVG's Bartop Candy Cab [2015 Hardware Upgrade!]

XCVG

ModRetro Legend
EDIT: Now it's going to be a really little candy cab. For those who don't know what a candy cab is, it's a Japanese arcade machine, usually made of plastic or metal. Just search "candy cab" and you'll see some pretty sweet machines. I'm specifically basing my design on the Aero City cab.

A while back I had a bad idea. Get a Retro Duo, put it in a homebuilt arcade cab with my Wii screen, and put in some controls. Of course, there were obvious problems. First, I would have to start buying SNES games. Second, you would only be able to play two different games without changing cartridges. Third, the Wii screen is a piece of crap. The controls would cost nearly $100 all told and it seems like a waste for such a piece of crap.

Then my dad got me a computer. It's a PIII 1GHz that was going to get thrown out. It's big, a full size ATX desktop. Onboard graphics, but it has an AGP slot so I can stick in that GeForce 5200 once I find it.

I re-drafted my plan. This time, it would be a 15" LCD monitor connected to the computer which would run MAME and emulators. It would still be two player, with Japanese controls, probably Sanwa. At this point I think I'll go with JLF sticks, black ball-top with shaft cover, Sanwa OBSN-24 pushbuttons, and either SDM-18 or Radioshack pushbuttons for start and select.

lolcade.png

The other day, I was bored in robotics so I built a ghetto coin mech. I have no idea how a real one works except that they are overcomplicated. So I built a really simple one that sort of works. The coin goes in the top angled slot (the whole thing will be tilted) and if it doesn't fall through another slot rolls through an opto inturrupter and gives you a credit. The top slot is sized to allow a quarter and nothing bigger to fit through. The bottom slot (hidden) allows dimes and probably pennies to reliable drop through and nickels to sometimes drop through. Now, this acceptor is evil. There is no reject. Once your coin is in, it's in. Dimes and pennies are accepted without giving you a credit. With a nickel it's a 50/50 chance. Sometimes the coin gets jammed and you have to hit it a few times. And of course, it's super easy to fool. Now I was originally going to use a microswitch, but the coin refused to actuate it. I tried to ghetto it with two exposed wires, then had a brainstorm and added the opto-inturrupter.

coinmech1.jpg

I may start working on this project anywhere between next week to next year. But while I'm on a topic, I need a name. I'm using LOLCADE as a temporary project designation, but it's a pretty bland and nooby name. And I have to figure out how to ghetto-rig a marquee.

Re: XCVG's Bartop Project

tl;dr

So this is basically a MAME cabniet?

So, I've changed my plans a little bit. Still going to have a wider control panel that is built as a separate piece. Same parts inside. But I'm going to make it look like a Japanese "candy cab". Any tips on how to make it look nice?

Long version below. Copied from my BYOAC post, because I'm too lazy to rewrite it.

I know you guys are tired of hearing of my "updates" of no actual progress, but...

I've decided to take a slightly different tack. I really like the look of Japanese "candy cabs", so I'm going to try to replicate the look of those. Attached is a really badly drawn design. The CP is a separate piece because it's wider than the rest of the cab. A bit odd, but remember it's going to be small and I definitely want to be able to play with a friend (get your head out of the gutter). Any suggestions on how to make it look more like an actual candy cab and not just a really thin one? Remember, I have to be able to build it, and I'm not very good at working with wood.see above small text

Oh, and what you are saying about free play and no coin buttons is good, but I need the button there anyway, because it will be "select" for console emulation. I think I need some admin buttons and such too, as well as a bunch of wire terminals, so I'll save some money and order it from rpelectronics.com. They are close (ish) to where I live, and the much better prices offset the shipping and mishandling fees.

microcandy.png

Slightly changed the design, now it has a pedastal thingy on the bottom and a blue stripe down the side. Those two changes make it look a lot more like a real candy cab.

Also, found a 17" LCD monitor at the thrift store, and a pair of speakers too. Still need some cheap USB controllers, arcade controls, and I have to find that videocard...

Re: XCVG's Bartop Candy Cab

It's official now. The project has begun. Been fighting with the software for a few days, but I hope to start doing the fun stuff soon. TL/DR from my arcadecontrols thread:

The inspiration came quite recently. I wanted to build a bartop that would be customized to my specifications, with Japanese controls and configured for fighters. It would be solely for emulation and not PC games. The original design was a standard bartop, but I decided I wanted to do something different. From the first time I've seen them, I always like the "candy cabs". There was a specific one that stood out as actually buildable- the Aero City Cab. So I copied it, even down to the blue stripe on the side.

Shortly after the first drawing of this project (before it became a candy) I received a PIII 1GHz computer. It sat in storage for a while as I was in the process of moving. Recently I found a nice 17" LCD monitor and some speakers at the thrift store. So I set up the computer, adding in a GeForce FX5200 videocard and bigger 80GB hard drive. So far I've installed XP and am fighting with emulators and GameEX.

Of course, I have some vague plans for the rest of it. Construction will be mainly of 1/2" MDF. No t-moulding, possibly beveled or rounded corners. All Japanese controls- Sanwa OBSF-24 buttons and Seimitsu LS-32 sticks with round restrictors. Grey(gray?)ish-white paint job with blue stripe. Small marquee flanked by speakers, just like a real candy. Large back door with PC mounted on it for easy access. Either one or two 120mm fans to keep the thing cool. Almost vertical monitor and CP slightly wider than the unit. The pedastal will house a small keyboard and the mouse. Instead of investing in an I-pac or KeyWiz, I plan to hack up two cheap PC game controllers, because that's the way I roll. No crimp connectors either, I'm not afraid to solder. If there's one thing I find odd about this place it's the phobia of soldering.

Anyway, going to order some stuff soon, and fight some more with software.

microcandy2.png

Ordered some Seimitsu buttons and sticks from Akihabarashop. About $80CAD in total. A total of 12 24mm screw in buttons and 2 LS-32 sticks, as well as circular restrictors.

As for the software, I have MAME and GameEX pretty much sorted out, but I don't have a lot of games. Any suggestions on good ones to *ahem* acquire?

Progear is my favorite. Dodonpachi, ESP Ra. De., Radiant Silvergun are all good too.

Looks very nice, but sorta unprofessional. I don't know why, but it just has that vibe. This project is looking pretty Dang nice right now!

It's because I did it in paint and I'm terrible. It's just a concept- maybe I'll get someone with some skills to make it look better. I'm thinking the font needs a bit of a border, the white line needs to be smoother, and the gradient stepped better.

candytop.png

If you need minor adjustments or an entirely different design, just ask :tophat:

Cheers.

Well done, but way off the mark. I'm shooting for something relatively simple, with a color scheme that matches the machine. Mostly I'm drawing inspiration off some of these.

Also, why do candys have two or even three marquees?

I like the one you did, I'll see what I can do to professionalize it up some.

XCVG said:
Well done, but way off the mark. I'm shooting for something relatively simple, with a color scheme that matches the machine. Mostly I'm drawing inspiration off some of these.

Also, why do candys have two or even three marquees?
I do see what you mean :dah:
I may in fact take a second stab at it tonight.
I am truely bored :tophat:

I do like it. But it actually works better without any subtitle at all, and the last thing I want is the MAME plug everyone puts in. It's too wide, too, but the basic concept is good.

Like this, maybe? I did a crude hack job:
LINKED FOR SIZE

You also inspired me to take another shot. If I decide to go with this, I'll redo it at a higher resolution.
ctmarquee2.png

I guess simple can be beautiful. Thanks for all the help guys, if there's one area I'm lacking it's the art. No CP overlay, by the way. Just going to paint that, maybe with some stripes or a sticker.

http://imgur.com/heAZ8.png
HUEG VERSION

You sure you don't want a CP overlay? I can design one if you want, if you like my theme. I'm enjoying making these.

I think you should have SOME kind of subtitle. How about a list of game genres, in Japanese? That would look pretty cool, I think.

Back