Xbox Question: IceBerq4's

Discussion in 'Xbox' started by NimbleJack, Sep 1, 2014.

1. NimbleJack

NimbleJack Newb

Hi, I am looking for some feedback from anyone who has fiddled around with their xboxes. Specifically from anyone who has cracked theirs open and replaced their GPU and CPU heatsinks with IceBerq4 heatsinks.

If you have a modded dash, what temperatures does your dash report?

When you first installed the iceberqs, how did you secure the fans, and how tightly did you crank down your connecting hardware?

Reason I am asking is that I decided to be a fancy pants and replace my stock gpu and cpu heatsinks with the iceberqs, thinking I would get some better temps. Hardware I used was No.4, 1/2", machine screws and nuts. Used a metal washer against screw head, and nylon washers between metal washers and the motherboard.

I tightened nuts hand tight, checked the level against the chips and then slowly tightened by hand until very very snug.

new heatsinks were connected to 12V, I had planned to add a header onto the motherboard to connect sinks, but hadn't gotten to that quite yet.

Temps from the evoX reported at 38, cpu, 44, mobo. Seemed fine, but if the xbox was all closed up, xbox would freeze after a 10/15 mins and would repeatedly not boot properly as well. With the xbox hardware seperated, meaning dvd and hdd sitting outside of the xbox while the machine was operating. So that the iceberqs were not covered and were exposed to fresh air, xbox would boot fine every time and would not freeze.

I am assuming that gpu/cpu are overheating and causing freeze ups.

So...any advice from anyone having changed the stock sinks? Have I just completely messed up and not tightened down the heatsinks properly? Or has it been well known that swapping the heatsinks while leaving everything else stock causes higher temps?

2. samjc3

samjc3 #1 Female Member

I can't comment with any hard numbers, but I can tell you I ran a Jasper 360 with two Iceberq4s for awhile with no issues, which surely suggests they've got plenty of cooling power for normal xboxen. Did you use any thermal paste?

3. NimbleJack

NimbleJack Newb

Absolutely. Cleaned old paste off with artic 2 part, same with new sink, and then applied gelid tim.

After watching this thing fail a dozen times, i ended up uninstalling the iceberqs, and reinstalling the stock heatsinks. Cleaned off the "old" tim, applied new tim, and buttoned everything back up. Xbox starts up first time, no problem, no issues, no freezes.

Also, the tim spread from when the iceberqs were installed was perfect.

If i was getting freeze ups, would that have been a heat issue?, is it possible i didnt have enough pressure applied to the heatsinks?

4. ttsgeb

ttsgeb Breaker of Everything Staff Member

Have you removed the stock fan for when you're running it all closed up? The case isn't designed for fans that blow straight up, all you're doing with that is recycling the same warm air into the heatsinks. They can't do much if the ΔT between the air and the metal is low.

Basically, make sure you still have an exhaust from the case.