XB1"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Generalindividual, Apr 13, 2016.

1. I've been working on an XB1 project for awhile now and think it's time to put it up here. The goal of the project is to slim down the XB1. I've made a few prototypes and settled on the following sizes; .75" and 1". Both are possible, but only the 1" version can have an internal psu. I've spent the last three weeks trying to passively cool the system's cpu and failed at every turn. Now I'm just going to finish the psu and enclosure.

---Comparison---
    Xbox One - 13.5" x 10.35" x 3.15" (PSU/6.69" x 1.88" x 2.96")
    Slim - 11.6" x 10" x 1" (.75")
    [​IMG]

Components
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

------Update: 5/1/16------
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  2. Blargaman91

Blargaman91 Well-Known Member

Wow, that's cool, especially your models. Are you experimenting with trimming down the circuit board, or just shrinking its components?

3. ttsgeb

ttsgeb Breaker of Everything Staff Member

How did you manufacture those heatsinks?

4. Thanks, I haven't made any cuts as it costs around $30-$60 per broken board. I do have three test boards and two full console so I might try something later. I'm shrinking the HS, removing the DD, adding an internal passively cooled 180w PSU, and adding two internal (usb 3.0) 2tb drives in raid 0.

I didn't, I had a company on alibaba make them. No company in the U.S. would give me the time or wanted to charge $1100 per HS. I paid $65 for each heatsink

5. legofan623

legofan623 Well-Known Member

THIS GON BE GUUUUUUD. Haven't seen something this finely-planned out on here in a long time.

6. Update: The enclosure has been changed and is currently 90% finished

7. samjc3

samjc3 #1 Female Member

As somebody who spends a fair bit of time in machine shops, I know the feeling. Shop time is absurdly expensive in this country, unless you're already in the door. Hopefully the advent of very affordable desktop CNC setups will drive the pricing down a fair bit. Though the monoprice one that's supposed to be $1k still hasn't shown up on their website, so it's taking longer than I hoped.

Anyhow, can't wait to see some more progress on this. Always cool to see a project that's well planned from the start come together - far less likely to wind up a hot glue covered mess, or a unfinished memory.

8. 5/19/16: Gathering test and final parts
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2016