Will This Screen Work? (GC)

I'm planning on making my first ever portable, and it's going to be a portable Gamecube. I've torn down a portable DVD player to get at an LCD screen that I was hoping to use for this project. Here are some pictures:

mQVhWsr.jpg

GLUMrOO.jpg

My problem is that I'm not very experienced working with electronics and I'm not really sure how to identify where the signal comes in so I know what pins to solder. The GC I'm using has both component and composite ports, if that makes a difference.

I located the service manual for the DVD player, which includes a full electrical schematic. (Of course, I don't know how to read it.) Have a look here:
http://docdro.id/wbtdxRW (Mirror)

In addition, I know that using a display that takes < 12V requires a stepdown regulator. I believe this screen is 5V, but I would love to confirm this with more certainty before I go ahead and purchase parts. In addition, any suggestions about which one I should get (or things to be aware of when searching for a stepdown regulator) would be welcome.

I'm excited to get into the world of console hacking and making a portable GC specifically is something I've wanted to do for a really long time! Please bear with my ignorance - I'm here to learn. :)

As far as I can tell, that LCD driver board is capable of taking S-Video or composite video input, both of with the GameCube have. Though I can't really tell where those connection points are. I have to imagine they're in the white connector sitting below the LCD connector.

Hey! I am glad you want to start portablizing.
On Page Seven, on the Pdf you provided, It says it has Audio/Video In out.
Also, What is the Battery's Voltage? You might be able to use that for battery.

Hey, Any reason you want a Gamecube portable? if it's because it's easier to mod, It's not.
if you think it's it takes less battery, or uses less heat, it's not. (Don't worry, I thought this aswell, I planned on a Gc Portable aswell, and decided on a wii instead, )
Usually, It's recommended, to use a Nintendo Wii, You can cut it wayy smaller, Uses less power, Makes less heat.
and can be modded to run Gamecube games without the Disk drive.
It's just a thought

For understanding regulators, here is a good Page https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?threads/custom-regulators-an-explanation-and-guide.754/

There is Good information on Modretro, but another site, that is really Good is bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php (Bitbuilt is way more active than Modretro Atm btw)

The Transformer, (THis thing ->https://imgur.com/a/EwEfF)
is what Changes the Power from 12 Voltage, to 5 Voltage
A good Regulator thing, that a lot of people suggest is the Ti PTH08080
Now, don't go thinking it's the only way for regulators, It's not, if you find something better, use it, but for a first timers, I would suggest using stuff, that's been proven to work.

Happy Modding!

What is the Battery's Voltage? You might be able to use that for battery.
For the DVD player? There's a sticker on it that says 3.7V. I haven't decided on any particular battery solution for the portable itself.

Hey, Any reason you want a Gamecube portable? if it's because it's easier to mod, It's not.
if you think it's it takes less battery, or uses less heat, it's not. (Don't worry, I thought this aswell, I planned on a Gc Portable aswell, and decided on a wii instead, )
Usually, It's recommended, to use a Nintendo Wii, You can cut it wayy smaller, Uses less power, Makes less heat.
and can be modded to run Gamecube games without the Disk drive.
It's just a thought
I have seen many people suggest Wii instead, and I understand the pros. I'm attracted to GC specifically because it is GC - not because I think it is easier or "better". I want to boot up and see that juicy Gamecube intro that gives an authentic feel. I don't want to go through homebrew menus to launch games every time I boot up because it ruins the impression of it being a "real" Gamecube. I've also already acquired some used Gamecubes, and I don't have a Wii to spare. The motherboard argument does not convince me as I had no intention of trimming the GC motherboard at all; in fact, the Wii trimming guides I've seen involve significantly more wiring, especially if you want the full GC experience with rumble, mic support (memory card slot), etc. Obviously using less power and less heat to worry about is a plus for the Wii, though. I just found out that the mod chips for SD card loading are no longer being sold, so Gamecube may not be practical after all... All that to say I may just switch over to the Wii after all, but I would prefer not to if possible. I'm still researching to determine what is the best option for me personally.

I have seen BitBuilt and I think I'll be directing future questions there. It does look quite a bit more up-to-date than this place.

Anyway, thanks for all the info! I will definitely keep it in mind.

The reason we suggest wii over gamecube is to save you trouble. As the past people have said, wii is so much easier and better in every aspect. If you want it to feel like an actual gamecube, you can edit the startup video and alter the layout of the portabalizemii to make it look like a gamecube. We want you to do well. Thats why we give you advice. If you dont want to take it, thats all on you. But if you do, you wont be sorry

I just found out that the mod chips for SD card loading are no longer being sold, so Gamecube may not be practical after all... All that to say I may just switch over to the Wii after all, but I would prefer not to if possible. I'm still researching to determine what is the best option for me personally.

Also, i'm pretty sure that the Gamecube only outputs 480p if you have the component cable from Nintendo which is pretty pricey for a cable and not an issue for the Wii, considering interlaced video looks horrible on an LCD most of the time

Also, i'm pretty sure that the Gamecube only outputs 480p if you have the component cable from Nintendo which is pretty pricey for a cable and not an issue for the Wii, considering interlaced video looks horrible on an LCD most of the time
GCVideo is accessible enough now that I don't believe this is an issue. In fact, GameCube is the only one with a publically available solution to output 480p VGA. You need VGA (or HDMI), not component, since component LCDs are virtually nonexistent.

Back