Wii U+ - Plans for console mod

Hello All,

I'm a somewhat experienced console modder.
My favourite thing is taking external accessories and mounting them internally for a cleaner console.

Have done various mods in the past, from chips to internal wavebird adapter on wii etc.
I wanted some feedback and input on the following plan I have.

Take the internals from a Wii U, Wii U power pack, LAN adapter, Gamecube adaptor and USB HDD with a USB HUB and mount them all internally into an ITX case with a large decent fan for adequate cooling.

This would be to give larger storage, and LAN and Gamecube ports built in for a nice tidy clean console.
Making it a bit larger, but this won't be a problem.

I have two plans attached.

One would be to have everything running off the hub and the hub draw power from the direct power input. I can work out power regulation etc later. This would only use a single USB port's pins on the board.

Do people think that running through the hub could affect any latency for the Gamecube adapter and LAN adapter for input lag etc?

ine6bt.jpg

The second would be for the data of the accessories to each connect to their dedicated USB port on the pins on the board and the power to come from the hub, which just connects to the power source to supply power to accessories.

I'd do this to avoid lag mentioned as the foot note to the first method above.
through

kbygl3.png

Additionally, if I wired these devices straight to the pins on the board, do we think this would occupy the capacity of the ports, or would they still be functional for connecting additional external devices?
As far as I am aware with USB host controllers, they can happily piggy back devices up to something like 128 devices as soon as power ampage isn't over drawn?

I think it would be much safer to attach peripherals to individual USB ports on the motherboard because that is how it's meant to be used and I think you should have no chance of lag.

The concept sounds like a great idea. The stock Wii U is very small so I think the added size is perfectly fine in comparison to other consoles on the market. Maybe if you make the wifi antennas larger and place them closer to the outside of the case, the Gamepad will have better range as well.

Back