Wii DVD/Wiikey Fusion/WODE (sd/hdd loading) on Gamecube

OIC, fixing now.

EDIT: here it is, I also updated my original post.

CBfb5.png

Beta, that diagram is still incorrect. There should be 4 pins on one side or the other of the newhaven display adapter that are unused. As its a 36 pin adapter and we are only using 32 pins respectively. So the FFC needs to be slid to one side or the other. Also pins 30 and 31 are NC coming from the wiikey. Also the wiikey should take 3.3v on pin 32 not 5v. 5v will potentially kill the wiikey as those actel chips are only rated up to like 3.6v or so.

Nevertheless that's a really nice clean diagram. Once you get it tweaked so that its correct would you mind me adding it to my guide?

Ashen said:
Beta, that diagram is still incorrect. There should be 4 pins on one side or the other of the newhaven display adapter that are unused. As its a 36 pin adapter and we are only using 32 pins respectively. So the FFC needs to be slid to one side or the other. Also pins 30 and 31 are NC coming from the wiikey. Also the wiikey should take 3.3v on pin 32 not 5v. 5v will potentially kill the wiikey as those actel chips are only rated up to like 3.6v or so.

Nevertheless that's a really nice clean diagram. Once you get it tweaked so that its correct would you mind me adding it to my guide?

You better add it to your guide!
This diagram is for soldering to the bottom of the board, what you are calling pin 32 is actually pin 2, (unless I am double-backwards) is that what you mean? NC means "not connected" right? are all of the 5V pins supposed to be 3.3v?

Here are some pictures I stole from a post by hailraizer. it should clarify things a bit visually.

All cred to Hailraizer for these pics:
fusion5.jpg

fusion4.jpg

fusion6.jpg

The port pictured on the gc does indeed output 5v which would be used to power the original DD. However the wiikey needs 3.3/3.4v on pin 32 for power. Anything higher than 3.6/3.7v may kill the actel chip. So you need to draw your power (3.3v) from elsewhere on the GC MB.

I made this (modifying Hailrazer's original diagram). Its the correct pinouts. The numbers circled red are the pin numbers of the wiikey fusion. With this diagram, one can just start wiring up their wiikey.

WcGoF.jpg

New little breakthru over at gc-forever today. kennyycc a forum member there has confirmed that WODE will load backup discs and original discs with the Wii DVD drive hooked up through the "flatwode" feature when hooked to a GC. Zenloc has since confirmed this. WODE needs to be on firmware v2.8a for this to work.

Not really that groundbreaking for us I suppose. But still interesting nonetheless. :)

Well at least that means people can make slim disc based gamecube portables with 100% compatibility with dvds and backups

I'm sorry to ask yet another question but where could i get a normally closed switch that would do the trick to wire up a wiikey fusion? What am i even looking for? "3-pin normally closed switch"?

Btw i thought tact switches could be wired up so they are normally closed, could we use those? I'm asking this because i'm guessing the fact that they are two pin only is problematic

No, tact switches are normally-open. You can't wire them normally-closed because of how they are built. There are lots of small normally-closed switches that can be found in old electronics, though. Try looking in floppy drives, CD drives, or even VCRs.

Isn't there a way to buy some? Maybe like the one(s) ashen uses? Sorry about asking that much and being a noob

I'm sure there is. You can go to your local RadioShack, or check online at Digikey or Mouser.

I'm having trouble finding NC tacts or pushbuttons on Mouser myself. These seem to be the cheapest. At least, that I can find. Though I'm thinking my Mouser searching skills have failed me.

Revamped the guide a bit. Took out the (now) useless technical info and pinmatch to make it less confusing for people. Let me know what you guys think. Better? Worse? Suggestions/comments?

Back