Where to Start?

I want to make an N64, but is it better to start with an NES for experience or does it matter?

• N64

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • NES for experience

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

NordFive

Hi, I have recently been looking around at portable consoles and I have been really wanting to make one. I just don't really know where to start. I really want to make an N64 but I hear people saying that it is better to start off with something easier like a NES. But I just don't know if it is worth it to start with an N64 or make a NES even though it with cost much more to make a console I don't really want to make. Is it worth the experience?

I don't have a lot of experience with this stuff, but I am really interested and determined to learn more about it and make one. I'm pretty young too. My Wii U screen cracked from the inside, I bought a new screen, and opened it up and successfully replaced it, I'm not to sure if that experience would carry on to modding though.

I was just wondering where I should start that is affordable? Would it be better to make an NES or a N64 even though I want to make an N64 but it is harder, and if so, where to start? Where should I read and if there is any at-home practice I could get before spending a lot of money on a big project.

I would appreciate some advice!

Cheers!

~NordFive

The N64 will be more challenging but it is very well documented and there is an abundant supply of consoles on ebay cheap. The NES uses a 72 pin cartridge connector and the N64 has a 48 pin cartridge connector(you can get away with only 27 wires) so even though the n64 has more elements to cover (regulator, more action buttons), the soldering could be argued that it is easier.

The N64 will be more challenging but it is very well documented and there is an abundant supply of consoles on ebay cheap. The NES uses a 72 pin cartridge connector and the N64 has a 48 pin cartridge connector(you can get away with only 27 wires) so even though the n64 has more elements to cover (regulator, more action buttons), the soldering could be argued that it is easier.
Okay, thanks for the reply! And I've heard of the N64 only needing 27 wires, does that mean just any 27 wires, not in any order? Or I guess I could just do the full 48 pins. I think I am going to start with the N64. I have been watching lots of videos, and reading LOTS on the forums, and I think the best way to learn is just to start and see how it goes. Oh and, is it fine just do buy the motherboard off of Ebay? Those are much cheaper than buying the regualar console, or is that an obvious question? lol

Thanks for the reply gman! I love your mods btw! :D

Back