Whatcha think about my specs?

Atari said:
20nm manufacturing
good god. you know, sometimes, i hate progress. i mean, dont get me wrong, i love progress, but everything goes so fast, and they are gonna put us out of business if they keep it up.

DON'T BUY THAT RAM. LOOK AT THOSE TERRIBLE REVIEWS.

Also, T_W, I mean all the models. I know that some of them can unlock better than others because the cores aren't completely up to par, but I mean all the models have the possibility.

I'd rather pay $91 and get some nice ripjaws ram, heatsinks could be useful and it looks good through my case's window.

samjc3 said:
Twilight Wolf said:
in Source engine games like Team Fortress 2 and Left 4 Dead 2, I get a fairly stable 60fps at all times. ::3:
really? thats it? my rig is quite a bit less powerful than yours, and i get ~120 fps in source games. (high detail, 1680x1050, win 7 32 pro)

I have mine capped at 60 since my monitor is only 60Hz. :facepalm:

In windowed noborder mode, 1920 x 1080, all settings as high as they'll go including 8xMSAA and 16xAF, I can get around 120 fps on a full 24-person Badwater server in a big firefight, but since windowed mode doesn't support v-sync, it looks horribad and the loss of smoothness makes it look like I'm only getting 30.

desmin88, that mobo looks good if it can unlock cores. I'd look for something with a bit more documentation, though -- that's only had one review done of it on that page.

@T_M Do you know if that motherboard can unlock all the cores? 100$ 3.2 ghz quad core is an epic deal.

(sorry if bothering)

According to their website, at least from what I can tell from their Engrish, it should unlock all the cores.

Like I said, though, it's not guaranteed -- while most of the dual-cores are simply quad-cores with two cores locked, sometimes those locked cores are defective and thus won't give you full support. But even then, it's a Dang fine dual-core.

Yeah, i looked up the mobo and it supports ACC, so it should unlock it.

I read that sometimes youll get a tricore instead of quadcore.

Im so gonna get these parts lol.

desmin88 said:
Yeah, i looked up the mobo and it supports ACC, so it should unlock it.

I read that sometimes youll get a tricore instead of quadcore.

Im so gonna get these parts lol.
The extra 2 cores haven't been tested or quality checked, so they might be bad or might not function. They can also sometimes be unlockable but will be unstable and won't always have proper calculations done, causing a system crash or slower benchmarks/performance. Also, the cpu heats up a lot more with all 4 cores enabled, so make sure you have good cooling. Also, watch out. Newer phenoms need 135w of power, the new 4 core ones. If you're unlocking the cores, I'm guessing that the cpu will draw as much power as those 4 cores, aka you won't be able to power it. You might need a new motherboard.

I know all that. I'll enable the 4cores and see how everything runs. If it gets problematic I'll disable ACC.

If you need to replace it, you should go for the m4a785tdv-evo, it's a nice mobo(although pricey) that has SUPER EASY unlocking and is the one used by me.(palmer uses the 780, I think)

Twilight Wolf said:
samjc3 said:
Twilight Wolf said:
in Source engine games like Team Fortress 2 and Left 4 Dead 2, I get a fairly stable 60fps at all times. ::3:
really? thats it? my rig is quite a bit less powerful than yours, and i get ~120 fps in source games. (high detail, 1680x1050, win 7 32 pro)

I have mine capped at 60 since my monitor is only 60Hz. :facepalm:
you keep your filthy facepalm. how the Heck am i supposed to know you have it locked to 60? and plus, you say, "fairly stable", which implies it fluctuates, and since its capped at 60, that further implies that it fluctuates down, which seems like you are lacking performance. :dahroll:

MEEE

Cept House wouldn't say something like that. He'd just shout some insult at T_W without telling him what he did wrong. :dah:

Atari said:
The Source engine is old. I mean, REALLY OLD. Valve should invest in replacing it. It's served it's time well and hosted many great games, but it's time for that fogey to leave.
By that logic they should invest in replacing the Unreal Engine they still use because it's even older; it came out in 1998. :p

They've been constantly building on it and revising it. The Source engine that runs Left 4 Dead 2 is not the same as the one that runs Half-Life: Source.

The_Rock said:
Cept House wouldn't say something like that. He'd just shout some insult at T_W without telling him what he did wrong. :dah:

Ah, sort of like a certain member we all know and love. >_>

Also, didn't most, if not all, of the Source engine games get upgraded to a newer version of Source when they were released on the Mac? I think Day of Defeat: Source was upgraded to TF2's engine sometime last year; Left 4 Dead 2 has always said something like "Powered by Source, 2009", whereas Half-Life 2 said "2004" and TF2 said "2007." Now they all say 2009. Not sure about Left 4 Dead; haven't looked at it in a while.

Yeah. Valve updated most of their older games to a new version of Source. I think Half-Life: Source and Half Life Deathmatch: Source are the only games left running on the "original" Source engine; everything else runs on the Orange Box, TF2, L4D, or L4D2 version. (Garry's Mod is practically a branch in and of itself, but I think he said most of the new codebase came from the TF2 version...)

To be honest, I just meant they should build a new one from the ground up, instead of adding new features to an outdated core. It would probably run better, have less bloated code, and be more future friendly in terms to upgrades. Never mentioned the Unreal Engine, but let's just say they're both due.

(I knew it came out in '98. I got Unreal on release day. Unfortunately, I think Unreal Tournament is better now that I look back on it. They were possibly the most epic games of their time. Still play it to this date, although it's kind of buggy on Win7. Now I have a XP partition. :p )

Back