What skills does modding give you?

Discussion in 'Forum 47' started by Ne×hiA|ibias, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Curious and very new to this community and want to do something with my life. Then i heard about console modding which always appealed to me for some reason so...I want to know what skills these can give me.

2. samjc3

samjc3 #1 Female Member

Well, in the strict sense, it won't give you any skills. Though it's certainly a great avenue for developing skills. What those skills are, really depends on where you want to focus - modding a huge area.

The most obvious stuff would be basic electronics, soldering, and general hand fabrication. Depending on what side of modding you want to focus on, it can be great for learning about coding, reverse engineering, painting, 3d printing, PCB etching, and a plethora of other stuff. It can even be solid for bettering communication skills and such, since a lot of modding projects rely on collaboration and such.

Ultimately, it's about like any hobby - you can learn a lot if you apply yourself, and some of that knowledge may even be useful beyond the hobby - I, for one, have a job working with robots and flax, and I wouldn't have it if I didn't have a solid understanding of electronics, thanks to hanging out here for years.

3. Okay, Thank you for the straight answer. I was wondering because i wanna go and build game consoles AND code them at the same time. I can start her by learning how to mod already-built consoles and change them a bit.
    Since you mentioned that helped you get your Robotics jop this makes me want to continue searching in this forum.

Thanks again.