Verify My Build Before I Buy Things?

Couple of new questions. I've been thinking that I should get more RAM than 8gb. Found this and this on Amazon. Good deal? Regular or low profile?

Also, would it be worth the extra money to get an i7 instead of an i5?

8 gigs of ram is plenty.
Also, notice how a 4 gig stick of DDR3 can be gotten for around $10 if you're lucky, and yet they're selling 16 gigs for 95.
There's not really any difference.

AbyssPWNS said:
Also, would it be worth the extra money to get an i7 instead of an i5?

The i5 2500k is right on the price/performance sweet spot, assuming your motherboard supports overclocking.

I have the Powercolor 6950 2GB. It's *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing fine. Has two fans and dual bios AND IS UNLOCKABLE, unlike a lot of cards. Not saying to go with them but there is nothing wrong with their cards.

So I found this whilst on amazon. Looks like a good deal and good reviews. Should I get this in place of a 1TB HDD?

AbyssPWNS said:
So I found this whilst on amazon. Looks like a good deal and good reviews. Should I get this in place of a 1TB HDD?
$175 for 750 gigs.
Great.
I'd get a 60 gig SSD and 1TB HDD for the same price and use the SSD for caching instead.

AbyssPWNS said:

No.

Don't put laptop parts in your desktop machine unless you already own them (or it's a Mini-ITX build).

That's a terrible buy; you can get a 1 TB HD and a 60 gig SSD for the same price if you shop around.

Or for a bit more money you can get three somewhat smaller drives and make a RAID 5, which will be fast and safe.

Didn't even realize that was a laptop drive. Feeling pretty derp now.

So the 60gb SSD will be for the OS/frequently used things and the 1TB HDD will be for everything else?

Is it worth the money to get a caviar black over a caviar blue hard drive?

Blue comes with 32 megs of cache and a 2 year warranty.

Black comes with 64 megs of cache and a 5 year warranty.

I think it's worth the extra 10 bucks. :awesome:

Keep your OS and frequently used programs on the SSD, and put scratch data, the pagefile, and general bulk storage on the HDD. Your PC will still be faster than just a hard drive alone, but you won't burn through the SSD as fast as using it by itself.

Back