Triwing Screws

Ampersand

Lightbulbs are awesome!
Triwings. Nintendo just had to go and make it slightly more difficult to desecrate their sacred handhelds, didn't they? Easy enough to tear apart with a triwing screwdriver, but many of us don't want to order a screwdriver for only a project or two. And lord knows it's easy to lose these things (at one point I had four, now I have none :/).

Without special screwdrivers, it's still very possible to get triwings out using eyeglass screwdrivers and a bit of brute force. However, using this method, it's also very possible that you'll strip out your screws, which is no fun. Eventually, it's very easy to get a screw stripped enough that you can't get a very good grip on it with a screwdriver. However, I have found a technique for removing near-stripped triwings, even with eyeglass screwdrivers.

Step 1
Stuff you need: Nintendo product to take apart, a small precision eyeglass screwdriver (Philips or flathead works, flathead works best), WD-40, and a soldering iron. Make sure to plug in your iron so you don't have to wait on it to heat up.

Step 2
Attach the little red extension tube to your can of WD-40 (or get a screw driver and spray it on so there's a drop hanging off the end), and drip it into the screw hole so it goes all around the screw head. What this does is get the lubricant around the screw as much as possible, to help break its bond.

Step 3
Grab your soldering iron, and (carefully, as not to melt plastic) touch it to the head of the screw for a few seconds. Don't hold it for too long, or you'll actually melt the plastic of the screw post. This breaks the screws tight bond with the plastic (due to the temperature difference), and allows more lubricant into the screwhole.

Step 4
Let the screw cool down a bit, and pull away from the plastic. Get a good hold in the head of the triwing with your screwdriver, and turn away. If all went well, it should unscrew no problem. If it didn't work the first time, give it another go and it should come out.

Well, there it is.

<3,
-Amp

Nice guide, could have used this when I had a stripped screw in my working DMG. Ended up just drilling it out a bit. (Worked just fine, I just have 1 less screw holding the 2 sides together, no big deal.)

Yeah, I've had to drill out stripped triwings too. It sucks, since you can't really get them anywhere except out of other systems.

Back