tinyAMP

Aurelio

Hello,
I've just finished designing a new audio amplifier that could be useful in your portables.
Some of you may have already seen the other one that I designed few days ago (http://forums.modretro.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=14720), but I've decided to design another one with slightly different features:
  • 2.8W/channel of output power for a 3 ohm load
  • Integrated headphone jack with plug sense
  • Digital controls for audio volume

As you can see this amplifier lacks of i2s input, but still retains the headphone jack and the digital volume controller.
The main difference is that it will be much cheaper and it's also smaller.
Here is a preview of how it will look like (click on the image to see a high resolution one):
The board is just 1.19x1.33 inches (30.15x33.66 mm).

I've already ordered three of them from OSHPark. I will update you as soon as I get them :)

PS: I'm also working on another amplifier that I will show you later or tomorrow probably :)

Why do you need the headphone jack mount on the board? It could be smaller without it. Those little ipod amps are just 21 x 16 mm

I actually think having that jack on the board is an excellent idea. You don't have to use it if you don't want to but what would make this perfect is if it had a couple of mounting holes for a screw mount.

In some cases it could be useful but many times I have the headphone jack mounted in a place where there wouldn't be room for a circuit board attached to it. True, you dont have to use it.

gman said:
Why do you need the headphone jack mount on the board? It could be smaller without it. Those little ipod amps are just 21 x 16 mm
First of all consider that this board is specifically made for a portable that I'm working on, so it is done to fit my necessities.
Also this amplifier is specifically designed to handle the headphone. By that I mean that the amplifier IC switches the output power and configuration (BTL/SE) to correctly drive the speakers or the headphones according to whether there are headphones connected or not. Also the board has already mounted filtering capacitors and all the other components that are needed to make it right.

Anyway, if you really want a speaker-only amplifier (that can be kinda used also with headphones) you may want this other one:
yQpJFJK.png

This one is just 18x17mm (the external text is cut away).

Downing said:
I actually think having that jack on the board is an excellent idea. You don't have to use it if you don't want to but what would make this perfect is if it had a couple of mounting holes for a screw mount.
I thought about the mounting holes, but there wasn't really much space for them and also I don't really need it for my project :)

gman said:
In some cases it could be useful but many times I have the headphone jack mounted in a place where there wouldn't be room for a circuit board attached to it. True, you dont have to use it.

Yes, I understand your point. Anyway you can still mount the headphone jack using some wires soldered directly on the soldering points of the board. At least you will have all to components to handle the headphones correctly :)

gman said:
Ok. Awesome work man, really looking forward to the final result
Thanks :) I've just ordered the ones without the headphones jack. I'll update you as soon as I get them :)

I've just got the two boards. I will probably order the needed components this afternoon and I will test the boards as soon as I get the components :)

SPEmne8l.jpg

I see, thanks for the answer. I hope to see these available in the future, since they would be useful for applications other than console modding too.

Last edited:
Back