Tiger Game.com customization anyone?

Hello all! I am new here to the forum (just joined) - looks like a cool place! One failed handheld "gaming" system recently came to mind -- the epic Tiger Game.com! :rofl: I know, I know, all-in-all, this system just didn't cut it, as they say. But, the system has always intrigued me in some regards, and I feel it does have a couple of cool games (Resident Evil 2 and Duke Nukem 3D). It's no secret that the screen has a not-so-good display (often times hard to see and games get blurry with faster movements).

So i've been wondering, has anyone here attempted to "fix" the Game.com's shortcomings by replacing the touch screen with a quality one? Is replacing the touch screen even possible on a system such as this? Also adding in quality backlighting would be nice. I know a later model had this, but it wasn't very good as I understand it.

Another option may be to customize a Gameboy magnifier/light to fit onto the Game.com. While this route wouldn't help the display or framerate any, it would definately be easier to see the screen. Anyone have any ideas as to what screen light + magnifier would be a good one to use as a basis?

Although the Game.com did ultimately fail, i'm probably one of the very few that feels the system did have a lot of good ideas and perhaps hardware.. it just wasn't utilized properly by Tiger in the end.

That said, i'm a reasonably big Resident Evil fan. I think it would make for a really cool/unique "collectible" to fix up the system a bit as a standalone game and customize the casing to a Resident Evil 2 style theme. Maybe black with red buttons, "blood spatter" and the Res. 2 font somewhere on the front and a decal of the "trademark" zombie peeking around the corner as a fold-down screen protector or something. Heck, even if the system still didn't play great, it could still at least look cool on the shelf. :)

Thoughts?

Pretty sure replacing the screen wouldn't work. At least easily. It's a grid based touchscreen, so you would need to find one with the same grid and and higher resolution, etc etc. You could backlight it. Not sure about the magnifier, you should ask someone else about that one. But I do approve of the decoration in the Resident Evil style. I'm a pretty big RE fan myself.

Back