Thursty's new rig

Thursty

SS's Preferred Refreshment
So I've had a decent rig for a while, but I really built it pretty haphazardly, not knowing the specifics about CPUs, Cache, and Ram speeds. Now that I've gone through 3 years of Computer Maintenance/Technician, I feel I'm ready to build myself a fairly beastly rig.

Next paycheck I will have exactly my limit, $1700, that includes shipping(no tax, via neweeg)

Specs:
CPU: Intel core i7 2600k sandy bridge 3.4GHz
Cooler: Cooler Master V6 GT
Case: Antec Lanboy Air in blue
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 LGA 1155
Video: EVGA GTX 580 w/ 1G GDDR5
Memory: G. skill ripjaw 8G 4x2G 1600MHz
PSU: Antec 1000w SLI modular PSU
HDD: Re-using my current 7200RPM drive, new 1TB 7200RPM
Drives: 1 Blu ray, 1 CD, 1 card/media
Monitor: Viewsonic 3D ready 120Hz 22"
That all totals up to $1,941.30 shipped.

And at the end of the month I'll also be getting a second GTX 580, and running both in SLI :DDD

If anyone has any suggestions of better parts for around the same price let me know, but I think I'm fairly set.

You say you're watercooling, but I don't see any parts listed. I assume you already have them?
My only suggestion would be a cheaper case. The one you have listed looks pretty sweet, especially in yellow, but its a little spendy. Up to you though, and its within your budget. Should be a sweet rig.

vskid3 said:
You say you're watercooling, but I don't see any parts listed. I assume you already have them?
My only suggestion would be a cheaper case. The one you have listed looks pretty sweet, especially in yellow, but its a little spendy. Up to you though, and its within your budget. Should be a sweet rig.

Only the CPU. I have it in my current rig at the moment. it's a nice little heatsink type water cooling. Basically the heatsink is filled with water which goes directly to a radiator/fan in the back of the case, no need to change liquid. It's neat, not that hard to use and was only lik $80, plus my temps are like 20 degrees C cooler.

Also, JD, don't tell me you're an intel cigarette.

As long as your CPU cooler has the right bracket for the new CPU socket you can reuse that.

That case is a ricey waste of money. You can get an Antec 900 for half the price.

edit:
J.D said:
Thursty said:
Also, JD, don't tell me you're an intel cigarette.
I like processors that run well.
:awesome:

I like the sound of this setup. :awesome:

Antec 900 is awesome, by the way. Two things to keep in mind about it, though -- one is that big intake fans = lots of dust can get sucked in. Invest in some dust filters.

Another thing is that the power button on mine seems to be crapping out and is becoming quite unresponsive. Easy to fix, probably, but the fact it has to be fixed at all is something to bear in mind.

I actually am going with this case for the looks, and the modularity. I know it's pricey but I wanna try something new, thanks for the suggestions though.

I know this is going to piss off the AMD fanboys, but buying Phenom II right now is just plain *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing stupid. Sandy Bridge costs the same and curbstomps the Phenom II X6 in almost every test. There are some multithreaded ones that it loses out to, but it's worth noting that they are all synthetic. The hyperthreaded i7-2600K beats both, as does the 980X Gulftown. But in some tests, Sandy Bridge beats Gulftown. Usually, though, Intel's new processor kicks the living flax out of AMD's Phenom II. And from what I heard, you can get 4.4GHz on air, easily. If you ABSOLUTELY MUST have AMD, wait for Bulldozer at least. Of course, by then Intel will have Sandy Bridge-EX out.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819115072 or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819115070
and
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813128460

I'm not an Intel cigarette. I'm just saying it like it is. Last gen, okay fine, AMD provided about the same performance at the same price point. But Intel was smart this time and released processors that give the 980X a run for its money in the $200-$300 range. Of course AMD's Bulldozer might be just as good, but I'm saving up for a Sandy Bridge rig.

Holy crap thanks XCVG, that's a pretty Dang affordable i7 right there, changed my rig now in the first post.

It's not that I Disliked Intel, it;s just that I could never afford one :/. So seeing something like this means I can finally try an intel build.

Isn't it better to stick with either 6gb or 12gb when it comes to DDR3? Or does it not matter anymore with new motherboards?

No, it's 6GB or 12GB for LGA1366 Core i7 procs, which are triple channel. For Sandy Bridge, LGA1156, or AMD, dual channel 4GB/8GB is better.

Well this is *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing awesome, Newegg just sold out of i7 sandy bridges. *Can'tSayThisOnTV*.

Oh heavens Intel is having trouble with one particular chipset EVERYONE BUY AMD COS INTEL SUX NAO :dah:

Mako321 said:
ttsgeb said:
Actually, it's probably this... *watches theinteladbot's Basement_Modder's XCVG's embarrassment*

those freaking avatars... :(

I'm not saying Intel sucks, I'm saying they're stopping sales, specifically of the Sandy Bridge chipset that XCVG (not B_M, apparently) has been basically calling a golden bullet lately.

If that bit was targeted at the general population, and not me, please ignore this comment.

Back