The definitive GC motherboard trimming guide

ShockSlayer said:
unless the chip can sense power draw or something.

Even if the chip was sensing power draw or voltage input or something, the capacitor wouldn't increase the draw/voltage going to the amp at all, only stabilize the output voltage from dropping below what it should be. At any rate the capacitor is not really acting as a capacitor in this case. More just like a large ferrite filter. Baffling for sure, SHASHAY sure has a special way of having flax work in odd ways <3.

It was not an issue for any amp except that stupid LM386. So you can probably disregard that.

ON ANOTHER NOTE:

the Wiikey switch IS SENSITIVE TO INTERFERENCE. This I know for a fact. I just tested it. if you have your sense line running close to power lines or anything like that, it will almost never work. I moved the wire away from everything and it worked on the first click.

THIS PROBLEM CAN BE FIXED USING 1.9v ON THE MIDDLE PIN OF THE SWITCH. THANKS A BUNCH TO SHOCKSLAYER FOR DISCOVERING THIS FIX.

Here are some Revision C scans I made. Hope it helps :

scan1.jpg

scan2.jpg

scan3.jpg

scan4.jpg

Gotta sand down to the hidden layer now.

Is it basically the same process or a bit harder since I'm now going through copper ?

Nice work Hail. At a quick glance, I'd say this is a totally do'able cut for rev C boards:

scan2.jpg

Its pretty close to AlmostWTF cut on rev A/B boards. Prob could be cut smaller if you wanted to relocate the MX chip/timing crystal close to the controller ports area there. I need to get my hands on a few rev. C's to play with.

Yes I think that could work.

Here is what needs to be done for a "minimum cut.

This is the Rev C board.:

revc1.jpg

Here's what it looks like after removing some of the unnecessary parts :

revc2.jpg

Here it is after a "minimum cut :

revc3.jpg

Here is what needs to be re-attached to get everything functioning like normal :

revc4.jpg

revc5.jpg

revc6.jpg

revc7.jpg

Hope this helps.

Ashen, is there a alternate wiring spot for the BIOS battery on the almostwtf cut?
My heatsink is already attached so I cant get at the MX chips.

UncutTop-2.jpg

Pretty much those two points for almostwtf. Hopefully you can still get to that little cap.

my board was diferent from the one you used in the example so I couldn't find those caps/resistors where you were taking Video From on mine. Was gonna test mind with sound only just to know if it was working tough I think I fried it anyway so, doesn't matter... Think I was to ambitious to start with such a cut (I did a smaller max-cut as my first gamecube portabelising atempt).

But anyway, back on the subject. maybe you could add some more photos with points to get video from? will surely be usefull to me and others i
in future atenpts.

Thanks in advance, morgrif

I just can't understand why you didn't find those video points.
Ashen said he based his guide on NTSC boards. Mine is PAL and looks exactly the same as board he shows.
There are another different boards out there if not rev C?

Mine is pal too.
maybe you were lucky enough to have a rev.a or b that is similar to those that ashen had in hands.

I can't say if mine is rev.a or b tough but I promess I'll soon post a picture of it.
cheers

all pal are rev a and b, to my knowledge.
Audio and video are sometimes different than in ashen's guide, look at kasar's, or just use a multimeter.
If it still doesn't work i'll try and show you where i took video on my board, but bear in mind that the trace i used corresponds to kasar's pinout

Back