The Controller case project | iPhone 5 |

Hey everyone TechsIQ here Ive been a lurker in the forum for years now but i wanted to share a project ive been working on for a while now, its still on going and i plan on updating it as it progresses. ok as the title say my original idea was to create an portable controller for the iphone 4 it stated with an icade board after i saw ben heck took one apart and created a controller out of one, I actually did, i made the case out of two ice breaker boxes, mighty putty and an old iphone case. It worked but it looked terrible, I made a video of it but it was back in 2012 and its no where to be found so just take my words for it. Fast forward to a few months ago i decided to pick the project back up again and this time with a ps3 controller and the iphone 5, this is my progress so far.

The original icade board
2bbacd.jpg

THE WIRING

Ok Ive gone through a few controllers before i wired everything correctly and one this i notice is the the dualshock 3 controller have a couple different boards, at least the official ones from a store like walmart.

The least common one is this one, I started with it and and everything was wired up until i accidently rip one of the lead for the battery from the board smh i was pissed. I anyone know of an alternative contact point let me know.

1e6e86.jpg

d405ee.jpg

This one is one of the generic ps3 controllers from ebay, everything is through hole and even labeled, i was so freaking exited, but for what ever reason there is some kind of weird grounding issue with the analog sticks/pots, when de soldered them the controller bugged out and seem to travel all the way to the right and freeze there,( i had my ps3 on to test ). I got two of them for 20$ both of the function the same way. I will investigate at a later time.

fa99c3.jpg

17df53.jpg

edc36f.jpg

The most common one is this one. It was not a easy thing to solder to

4e7a48.jpg

It took a lot of patience but 4+ hrs later the controller was all wired up. I found the trick to wire to small leads like this was to use the cotton pad and hold the wire and the board steady in one hand and the iron in the other, and making sure the wires are tinned and lot and lots of flux

efd210.jpg

Testing out the board to make sure everything worked, soldered some female headers to mare it easier

35df6d.jpg

I removed the mini usb port for height reasons and soldered directly to the board.

3ed41c.jpg

This is the board all wired up with female headers added. There are a total of 33 wire for all the buttons and analog sticks, 5 for usb port and 2 for the battery.

d87004.jpg

ef2328.jpg

My plan was to use the psp analog nubs, in my opinion they get a bad rep, i never find them to be so bad, not like the vita analogs they are TERRIBLE but back on point. i decided to test out the 3ds analog ive heard good things about them. They do feel better so i will use them instead. Both of them work from my tests. I will post the buttons and analog diagram at a later time, its 2::3:1 am and i need sleep.

Back