The afternoon projects thread

SteamDNT said:
I needed an Aux-In in my sack of flax Hyundai, so I bought a $100 JVC unit and put it in today.
>Not attenuating the headphone signal to line level and using a discrete, hi-power class-T amp to drive your car speakers with exposed wires and no enclosure whatsoever
*Can'tSayThisOnTV*in' pleb

ProgMetalMan said:
SteamDNT said:
I needed an Aux-In in my sack of flax Hyundai, so I bought a $100 JVC unit and put it in today.
>Not attenuating the headphone signal to line level and using a discrete, hi-power class-T amp to drive your car speakers with exposed wires and no enclosure whatsoever

Groose: You should look into implementing a gameover/retry screen.

ProgMetalMan said:
SteamDNT said:

I listen to radio.

:rolleyes: You could jam the speaker wires into a 3.5mm jack and I don't think it would make a difference with the crapflax speakers that are in this car.

I thought about adding the jack to the built in amplifier on the original radio, and then doing the empty cd thing, but then I realized that I could just spend $100 and 15 minutes to put the radio in, rather than 10 hours and $10 to add it in myself.

Well technically all cell phones have radios. But annoying dumbass semantics aside, I don't think I've ever used a phone with integrated AM/FM radio. I wouldn't use that regularly while driving anyway because of battery and safety and such.

My phone has an FM radio built in, so long as you're using headphones.

I want to smack anyone that puts an AM antenna in a cell phone, though.

Canadian telecoms like to lock the radios in their phones, because they enjoy taking their customers' innocence bareback with loonies as lube.

And then we get to pay $60/month for 1gig of data!

SteamDNT said:
Canadian telecoms like to lock the radios in their phones, because they enjoy taking their customers' innocence bareback with loonies as lube.

And then we get to pay $60/month for 1gig of data!

Just use Wind, it's not that terrible.

Wind is okay, but it doesn't cover very much outside of the major urban centres, and I spent a lot of time outside of Edmonton and Calgary.

When I was roaming in Toronto I only got very spotty CDMA (3G; no LTE) coverage. iPhones told you what carrier you were on but S4s did not so I could only assume that I was on Bell.
It was painfully slow but the hotel had good wifi and by the time we got back to Niagara Falls we were picking up American towers again.

There's a lot of providers with LTE in Toronto, but I wouldn't be surprised if Bell was stingy with people roaming on it. I know I got both Bell and Rogers LTE when I was roaming in Canada on T-Mobile though. Another thing is I don't think CDMA quite took off in Canada like it did in the US, so that could be part of it.

Telus used CDMA for a long time in the western provinces, but they were the first ones to switch to HSPA+. As far as I remember, Bell and Telus both used CDMA, and Rogers was the only ones to use GSM out here.

LTE coverage is a lot less prevalent in Alberta/BC. LTE is basically non-existant in the Former Soviet State of Saskatchewan and the literal deathgrip that SaskTel has on its mobile coverage isn't going to let anything change soon.

WIND is looking really good right now. I hope their network expands.

I pulled it out of an old camera while looking for SD cards to use. For some reason my 16GB card won't work with the mod. I've heard it can be picky with what cards it will take.

Back