Tchay's Glorious Transition to Software Modding

Tchay

Frequent Poster
I'll probably need to find a good forum for game hacking, but I figured I'd post here as well.

I'm very interested in moving into game hacking/coding as a new hobby. I'd love to be able to add new objects (with collision) into certain games on the Gamecube and N64. I'm also interested in remaking/remastering portions of an SNES game. I'm learning Maya, but need another 6-12 months before being proficient.

I know some basic C and pic asm. In the next 6 months I will be getting good at python, C, ARM asm, and probably some misc coding.

My question is, what's a good place to dive into this hobby? If anyone has played around with gamecube or N64 coding. I'm a noob in this field.

Re: General question about game hacking/coding (N64/GC)

Holy flax you are an awesome learner.

XCVG said:

I'm taking two classes (C and python), well I'm also taking a comp org class, so the hope is that I actually learn something and can apply that knowledge :p and since I already know pic18 asm, I'm hoping I can teach myself ARM asm.

Get IDA and tear apart some MIPS/PPC binaries. its a long and arduous path

Tchay said:
XCVG said:

I'm taking two classes (C and python), well I'm also taking a comp org class, so the hope is that I actually learn something and can apply that knowledge :p and since I already know pic18 asm, I'm hoping I can teach myself ARM asm.
ooh, are you about to learn about architecture?

marshallh said:
Get IDA and tear apart some MIPS/PPC binaries. its a long and arduous path
Is IDA pro 6.1 good enough for what I want?

@grossaffe, the class is titled comp org but from the syllabus, it seems like he's just going to go over integer basics, looping, and assembly stuff. Kinda weird, but I am self taught on architecture thanks to a good youtube vid and book Beta showed me.

Going to get a basic understanding of MIPS with this PIC32 from Microchip. Eventually I'd like to screw with some old PS2 games, but that comes later. Once I have a decent grasp on MIPS, I'll try tackling PPC assembly.

X70FCn0.jpg

grossaffe said:
Tchay said:
grossaffe said:
You could also try running a MIPS emulator like SPIM.

Oh yeah, one of my coworkers was telling me about SPIM. Downloading right now :)
I wanna be your coworker... :(

You should apply and stuff!!! Talk to Palmer if you are really interested ;)

Okay so small update. After some fumbling around, I was able to light up an LED on my pic32 using nothing but MIPS assembly code :D I modified some example code. Not really sure why it's necessary to mess with the stack when dealing with some simple tristate stuff, but I kept that in.

I'm currently using MARS 4.5 for editing as I can't find the dang editor inside QTSpim...

I took a break from the pic to do a little comparison program in MIPS (note the program doesn't work for negative numbers :p ):

Code:
.data
Text1: .asciiz "\nPlease enter a number: \n"
Text2: .asciiz "Please enter another number: \n"
big:  .asciiz " is bigger than "

.globl main
.text

main:
	#inputs
	li $v0, 4
	la $a0, Text1		# prompt the user
	syscall
	li $v0, 5 		# read first input
	syscall
	move $s0, $v0		# put first input in $s0	
	li $v0, 4
	la $a0, Text2		# prompt the user again
	syscall
	li $v0, 5		# read second input
	syscall 
	move $s1, $v0		# put secondinput  in $s1

sub $s2, $s0, $s1	# $s2 = first input - second input
	blez $s2, big2		# is the result <= zero?

big1:
	move $a0, $s0
	li $v0, 1		
	syscall			# print first input
	li $v0, 4
	la $a0, big		
	syscall 		# ' is bigger than '
	move $a0, $s1
	li $v0, 1		
	syscall			# print second input
	j main			#go back to the main loop

big2:
	move $a0, $s1
	li $v0, 1		
	syscall			# print second input
	li $v0, 4
	la $a0, big		
	syscall 		# ' is bigger than '
	move $a0, $s0
	li $v0, 1		
	syscall			# print first input
	j main			#go back to the main loop

Somewhere in California for some mallrat by the name of Zuckerberg.

Back